Julius Caesar was a famous Roman leader. He won many battles for Rome and helped the Roman Empire grow. He was Roman Emperor for a year until Caesar was killed by his enemies.
Top 5 facts about Julius Caesar
- Julius Caesar was born on the 13th of July in the year 100BC.
- His full name is Gaius Julius Caesar.
- Caesar created the Julian calendar,which is the basis for the calendar we use today!
- Caesar commanded all of Rome's armies,and won many battles that gave more land to Rome.
- Caesar was chosen to be consul of Rome in 59BC,which is the highest political office you could have at that time.
Caesar's early life
Where did Caesar grow up?
Julius Caesar was born in Subura,Rome in the year 100BC. He was born to an aristocratic family that could trace their bloodlines back to the founding of Rome. His parents were well - off ,but they were not rich by Roman standards.
Young Caesar soon found himself in the middle of a power struggle between two factions in the government. The current dictator of Rome,Sulla was enemies with both Caesar's uncle Marius and Caesar's father in - law Cinna. Caesar joined the army and left Rome in order to avoid Sulla and his allies.
When Sulla died,Caesar returned to Rome. He was now a military hero from his years in the army. He quickly rose up the ranks in the Roman government. He made allies with powerful men such as the general Pompey the great and the wealthy Crassus.Caesar was an excellent speaker and the people of Rome loved him.
A video about how Julius Caesar died