Throughout the past month or so, our class has been using the design tech resources such as the humming bird circuit, the cardboard and art supplies and many other different items to create a certain type of robot that can create art.
Steps taken: 1. We talked about how the design would look as well as sketched it on a piece of paper.
2. We created different types of designs that could relate to the catapult, we chose a design that had the motor attached to a small wooden stick and a cup hot glued on top.
3. We created a box from the laser cutter to surround the catapult.
4. We began testing.
5. Using the tests, slowly we made small tweaks to the code such as the speed and timing of the motor launching the catapult.
The assignment was to use all of the recourses given to create a robot that is capable of using paint or some other source of drawing item to creatively make a piece of art all by using the hummingbird circuit and scratch, the humming bird circuit is what we coded with a tool called scratch to move motors and use sensors.
We had a lot of supplies, our group mainly liked to use the hot glue gun, the computers, the cardboard, the laser, the motor and the paint to create our robot. My group contained myself, Valerie and Brooke.
My group and I made a decision to make a catapult. The idea of the catapult would be that we could load paint into the catapult and allow it to launch the different types of paint onto a long sheet of paper to create natural beautiful art.
When the catapult was finished, it was fully able to create art by launching the paint on the white paper. We made it able to be launched more diverse by using different amounts of dilution and it worked out perfectly.
Conclusion/Take away from the project: I enjoyed the project very much, it was very fun to see how our plan and visual ideas for the art robot changed over time. At first we were going to run many motors to carry the speed of the catapult and balance but we decided to just use one, we once thought we would be catapulting the paint to the wall, but we decided to use the ground. There were also a lot of changes in plan, at one point we were considering using a sensor to activate the catapult, but instead we decided to allow the computers keyboard to activate different types of steps in order to carefully launch the catapult while using consistent angles to create a splash zone. I think our invention was a success, we were able to create art as well as have a functional art robot, a shame we had to take it apart. When I think about it from an outside view, I think a distance sensor followed by a fake launch button would have looked extremely nice in a demo on how to use the catapult. I personally saw other groups utilizing the servo, and I think my group could have had more success if we utilized the servo instead of the motor. I had never experimented with creating a launching sequence with the catapult, so I feel over this project I have improved and am more knowledgable about the hummingbird circuit.
I hope by reading this simple adobe spark webpage you were able to somewhat understand what and how we did in our period of time to create a robot that was able to create art.