Wetherby athletic 8-1 baildon trinity Ath West Yorkshire Association Football League Cup

Wetherby Athletic welcomed second division side Baildon Trinity Athletic to The Ings for this cup match. With both teams struggling in the lower reaches of their respective leagues, would there be any goals?

The first half proved to be a very scrappy affair with neither team being able to produce any great passages of quality football.

Wetherby took a slightly fortuitous lead when Arran Horton's shot smashed into the post, bounced off the back of the keeper's head and fell for Joe Garside to shoot home.

Wetherby take the lead through Joe Garside.

A minute later and a well worked corner brought Baildon back onto level terms when a free header beat Mike Recchia in goal.

With a minute left in the first half, Wetherby regained the lead when Joe Whiteley headed past the Baildon keeper.

Joe Whiteley powers home a great header.

The second half proved to be a total contrast for Wetherby! Where they laboured to play football in the first, the passing was sharp and decisive in the second!

Jack McGahan struck a sweet volley from just inside the area to make it 3-1 to Wetherby.

Jack McGahan shoots from inside the area...
... and celebrates as his shot rips into the net.

It was soon 4-1 and substitute Phil Milsom was the goalscorer when he hammered home from inside the area.

Phil Milsom shoots ...
... and the keeper picks the ball out of his goal!

Things got worse for Baildon when their left back was sent off for a second bookable offence. Joe Dorkings made no mistake from the spot, sending the keeper the wrong way!

foul, sending off and a coolly taken penalty!

Dorkings showed his expertise from a set piece when minutes later he placed a great free-kick into the corner of the net.

Joe Dorkings shows how it's done!

It was soon 7-1 when Wetherby tore through the depleted Baildon defence and McGahan stretched to convert at the far post.

Jack McGahan stretches to score at the back post ....
... but took a knock to the ankle in the process!

The final goal came in the dying seconds and it also proved to be a beauty. Cutting into the area, Horton left fly with a trademark dipping shot and made it 8-1.

Arran Horton smashes in the eighth with a curling shot.

A good win (in the end!) and one that sees Wetherby's decent run in the cups continue.

next week it's league action as we travel to shelley fc.

Created By
Peter Arnett


2016 (c) Pete 7 Kieran Arnett - all rights reserved.

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.