Message from the teacher
I am pleased to see students working hard and focussing on learning. Their quality and efforts have certainly improved since last semester. I would also like to thank all the parents who have replied to my emails with positive and kind words. You are very encouraging and this becomes the extra fuel I need to help me help your children succeed in Biology. Please continue to encourage your child to study and revisit their cornell-notes every night in addition to the other homework assigned. Biology is a course that is full of content and vocabulary. It requires a little extra time to bring it all together. However, with the right kind of support from both the classroom and home, all students can achieve in Biology.
Our current course of study in Biology is the Evolution of Life, which started last week and will end will the unit test on Friday, April 14, 2917. Keep in mind that it is interupted by Spring Break (April 3-7, 2017).
Help Sessions & Office Hours
- Monday, March 20th (After-School until 4:30 pm)
- Tuesday. March 21st (After-School until 4:30 pm)
- Thursday, March 23rd (After-School until 4:45 pm)
- Friday. March 24th (BeforeSchool until 8 am)
- All students can make special arrangements with me if needed.
Cellphone Policy Reminder
Cell phones have become a way of life, a technological convenience that has impacted all of our lives in one way or another. However, in the school environment, cell phones have become a distraction, interruption, and a method of illegal exchange of information. The ringing of the cell phone during class or the text-messaging takes away from the valuable time needed for instruction and most importantly, student learning. We do recognize that cell phones can be a safety/security tool; however, they can be a detriment in the event of a building emergency and our protocol to manage such emergencies in a safe and effective manner. Parents are urged to utilize the school phone to relay any messages that may be urgent in nature to their child. We will do our best to relay any urgent information to your child.
Effective February 2017, no student will be allowed to possess or use a cell phone during class without teacher permission. A cellphone storage location is being provided in the biology classroom for safe storing of the device. Students will be asked to park their cellphone in the storage pocket at the beginning of class and may pick them up on their way out at the end of the period.
We appreciate parent cooperation so we may keep the learning environment at its best. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Assessment Schedule during Evolution Unit
Quiz - Tuesday, March 28, 2017; Unit Test - Friday, April 14, 2017; Project - TBA
If your child's current average is below the passing mark of 70%, it is important that you and your child work on a plan to recover and focus on bringing up the average before Friday, May 12, 2017. After this date, I will begin locking in grades and finallizing all student progress reports. Utilize the following suggectioons:
- Make a detailed action plan and follow it
- Complete all homework assignments
- Turn in classwork on time
- Improve conduct/behavior immediately
- Use class time wisely; every minute counts
- Complete major projects with effort/details
- Read and re-read chapter information
- Use he online resources for the textbook
- Prepare for tests/quizzes; don't wait intil the night before
- Spend time on comprehension, not just memorzation
- Spend 10 or more minutes per night per page to review and revisit cornell notes
- Focus and take cornell notes in your own words
- Improve attendance
- Come in for extra help/study sessions (required)
- Find a study buddy or group
- If necessary, get a tutor
Contact Info: Mr. Chiclana email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Roswell High School - Biology Class website: https://goo.gl/2mM72i