BSD Battleship Period 6 Table 2: Andrew Pedicone

This is the process we took to design and build an air cannon, then we shot the cannon, using tennis balls, to play a game of Battleship.

We used OnShape to design our barrel supports and cannon base

We started the project off with gathering our materials for the first step, which was designing the barrel supports.

We decided to go with a box design, offering optimal support for the barrels

The holes are for the barrels to fit through, allowing the box the encase the barrels from the sides, and providing the best support

The other two sides
Final edits, and preparing the box to be cut

We downloaded the box design, completed, as a PDF, and shared with the laser

Cutting out the box

After designing and cutting out the box, we programmed the Aruino

How we programmed the Arduino

After programming came the construction of the cannon

Materials needed for the cannon
Cutting one of the barrels
Cutting pipe to feed pressurized air
Assembling the PVC canon

After we assembled the canon, designing the base to hold the canon came next

We went with a simple look, but the design process was sometimes complicated

Parts displayed in a drawing, ready to be cut out

To make sure everything looked how we wanted, we assembled all the parts on Onshape first, and we like the design we had

Assembly view of the base

We were given a 3'x8' 1/2" sheet of plywood to use for our base

We got our base cut out on the ShopBot, and had tabs cut with the pieces to secure them to the wood until removed

After we cut the pieces out, the lengthy process of assembling the parts began

Applying wood glue to the pieces

After we got the parts assembled, we decided to test fit everything, and we noticed that some parts needed to be smoother, so Nick sanded them down to fit, and the only thing left was to create the pivot point

Nick sanding the bottom piece to smooth it out

We slowly and carefully cut out the appropriate sized holes needed to hold up the canon, and after we got our needed pole, we began cutting it to fit the canon

Cutting the holes to hold up the canon

Nick was assigned with the task of cutting the pole to fit, and I had messed up some measurements for the hole placement, and we had to cut a new piece

Nick cutting the pole to proper size
Me drilling the holes that will secure the pole and vertical supports properly
The first pole we made, and the hole placement didn't account the size of the screw head, so the holes were too close together. Also, there was a piece of material missing from not properly drilling into a scrap piece of wood

We went with a length of pole to fit through the canon, be pinned on each end to support the canon, and still have enough left on one side to provide a turning handle

After we got everything assembled, we then began working on making small holes at certain angles to lock the canon in place, allowing it to be fired at 15° and 75°

Measuring the proper angles so they can be drilled
Drilling the holes at the proper angles
Drilling two holes to pin through to hold canon at certain angles

After assembly, firing began, and we were graded on how we performed

Before the firing though, we performed our own peer reviews about our team mates

Peer review of my team, 4 being most and 0 being least

After we shot the cannon at various angles, I graphed the data so it is easier to see

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.