knowing, doing, and making: digital creativity as a pedagogical choice April L. O'Brien - Clemson University
- Rhetorics, Communication, and Information Design Ph.D. student and instructor of ENGL 1030: Accelerated Composition
- Prior focus on literature for B.A. and M.A.
- Research interests: digital and visual rhetorics, social justice, digital creativity
Homogeneous student body
Difficulty acknowledging other perspectives
Creativity beyond Arts and Humanities?
first step: making (heuretics)
"Part of working heuretically is to use the method that I am inventing while i am inventing it . . ." - Gregory ulmer, heuretics
- Accelerated Composition - students need to learn the fundamentals of rhetoric and writing
- Traditional written text, visual rhetoric, orality, and aurality with Premiere Pro, Lightroom, Spark
- Visual Rhetorical Analysis: written assignment to video
- Sample assignment: Watch "Legacies of Fort Hill" and create a video in which you develop your own argument but use "Legacies" as a springboard.
"Electracy can be compared to digital literacy but encompasses much more: a worldview for civic engagement, community building, and participation." -- Sarah Arroyo, Participatory Composition
Academic discourse does not occur in isolation from other discourses in which we conduct our lives." Gregory Ulmer, Teletheory
Not just for my students; how i use Creative cloud
- Forthcoming short film to be published in the Journal of Cultural and Religious Theory
Created with images by lamdogjunkie - "Colours" • DariuszSankowski - "fire open hot" • StockSnap - "macbook laptop computer" • Sweet Carolina Photography - "It's that time again!!!" • misiafefe - "Perspective" • Unsplash - "bridge suspension engineering" • Alexas_Fotos - "soap bubble colorful ball" • Alexas_Fotos - "soap bubble colorful ball" • bykst - "background district abstract" • wilhei - "electricity voltage light" • Josch13 - "light bulb at burn" • lamdogjunkie - "Colours"