Kumquat Garden is the manifestation of a longtime dream of landscape architect, Catherine Clemens, to open a garden and outdoor living boutique. With over 40 years in the outdoor industry, Catherine has a passion for bringing high style to the outdoors. While the original vision was a local retail store in Santa Fe, New Mexico, Catherine, together with her daughter Elizabeth Freeman, decided an online boutique was a better way to reach a larger audience and stay nimble through the ever-changing tides of commerce. Along with the Office Dog Dream Team (“Dottie” the English mastiff and "Reggie" the Shar Pei), Catherine and Elizabeth handle the daily operations and artistic direction of Kumquat Garden.
Catherine began her career as a stone mason 40 years ago while obtaining her fine arts degree from the University of New Mexico and went on to study Landscape Architecture. She has been principal of Clemens & Associates, Inc., a landscape design, installation, and maintenance firm based in Santa Fe, NM since 1980. Catherine’s love of design is reflected in her gardens, which incorporate strong architectural elements and unique finish details into comfortable outdoor living spaces. Her long-standing and intimate knowledge of the outdoor living and design industry led to her interest in developing an outdoor living boutique. She considers her passion to lie in fabrics, patterns, colors, and unique decor items. "These are the elements," she says, "that give a space its identity, its pulse." She's always got her eyes open for new product partners in the outdoor decor and lifestyle realm that are creating something unique.
Elizabeth has a bachelors degree in Art History with an emphasis on Architecture and the Environment from the University of California in Santa Barbara. She was in gallery sales when Catherine proposed a business partnership based in outdoor living. Elizabeth jumped on the opportunity and hasn't looked back. She loves the challenges, creativity, and new skills brought forth by the uncharted territory of a new business. "This ventures has brought me down many new paths, from basic coding and graphic design to product sourcing and marketing. Every day is a new adventure and I love the process." Elizabeth manages most of the daily operations of Kumquat Garden and looks forward to seeing the future growth and evolution of the business.
Our brand partnerships focus on small producers with unique offerings, many of whom are based out of the United States. We truly value artisan craft and appreciate the opportunity to offer exceptional products to our customers.
- Hedgerow Studio - Hedgerow Studio has been creating beautiful, hand-painted patio umbrellas out of Pasadena, California since 1997. Each umbrella is made of Glen Raven Mills solution-dyed Sunbrella acrylic canvas and finished with a UV protectant for lasting durability. Each piece is made-to-order and a gorgeous, functional addition to any outdoor living space.
- Elaine Smith - Elaine Smith is the world's first and only brand of luxury indoor/outdoor pillows inspired by the runways of Paris, Rome, and New York. These unique pillows are durable enough for whatever life throws at them, indoors or out, yet soft and stylish enough to rival any fine indoor throw pillow. They can, quite accurately, be described by the company's motto as, "Inconceivably Outdoor." The company is based in South Florida.
- Cacoon - Cacoon (hanging tent-like structure) was developed by a husband and wife team with a background in making sails for ocean-going yachts and architectural fabric/ textile technology for onshore structures. The inspiration for the Cacoon came from a colony of hanging nests created by the Weaver bird, spotted while vacationing in Mexico. Cacoon says, "Just like the Weaver bird, you too can hide away, sheltered and cocooned, but still in touch with your surroundings." Each Cacoon is created from top-grade fabric and treated for anti-mold, UV protection and water resistance.
- Hang-A-Hammock Collective - Hang-A-Hammock Collective is a group of talented artisans out of Masaya, Nicaragua that creates gorgeous hammocks and swing chairs by hand. We love this collective not only because of the beautiful items they produce, but also because of their high environmental and social standards. Read more about the collective here.
- Winterfiber - Winterfiber produces stunning, light weight throw blankets made of finely knit 100% baby alpaca wool. Baby alpaca fiber, "winter fiber" as it's called, is incredibly soft (softer than cashmere!), fine, durable, moisture and odor resistant, and has hypoallergenic qualities. The alpaca fibers that this Brooklyn-based company uses for their throws are exclusively woven in the southern highlands of Peru. As such, the company places great emphasis on the social responsibility to support the local Peruvian alpaca farmers and communities who collect from these warm and friendly animals.
- James Thomas Candle Co. - James Thomas Candle Co. hand-crafts a luxurious line of 100% all natural Eco-friendly soy wax candles with crackling wood-wicks out of Austin, TX. Founder Rosie James was determined to produce a line of natural soy wax candles that are eco-friendly, biodegradable, minimal carbon foot print, and free of harmful toxins (found in gel, paraffin, and animal waxes), all while supporting the American farmer. This elegant line does just that with gorgeous botanical scents like Japanese Citrus, Lemongrass & Sage, and Honeysuckle.