Mission San Juan Capistrano 2017 Our Family Trip

This is a plaque of the founding document for the mission. It explains who were assigned to build it, where it was to be build, and why it was done.

This was the wheel that was used to press the olives to make olive oil. It was usually powered by a boy or donkey.

These were the soldiers barracks. It was originally built in 1791. They had beds made of leather straps and blankets.
These stones were used by the Native Americans to grind down and process acorns and seeds that they grew. This paste is one of the foods they ate prior to the Spanish arrival.
These were the living quarters for the padre. They were very modest. He had a bed on the second floor that he accessed by means of a ladder. This ladder would then be pulled up when he got to the second floor. He did this for protection.
This was the dining area for the padres.
This is a model of what the mission looked like after the completion of the Great Stone Church in 1806.
A statue Junipero Serra, who founded the mission. The Serra Chapel, where church service is still held daily. Some of the original writing of Junipero Serra.
These bells originally hung in the Great Stone Church bell tower until the earthquake of 1812 that destroyed the church. The Bell Wall was constructed around 1813. These four bells were used to signal important events, such as the death of someone. Today the largest bell is rung seven times at 9 a.m. daily to honor Saint Junipero Serra.
These are the ruins of the original Great Stone Chapel. The chapel was originally shaped like a cross. It was destroyed by a large earthquake on December 8, 1812. The collapse of the chapel took the lives of 42 people, including 2 boys that were in the bell tower.
The area where the missionaries and Native Americans tanned and dyed leather, forged various metal good, and grew fruits and vegetables for food.
The final dab is in front of the central courtyard and fountain. This is where the missionaries had rodeos and other community gatherings. The central fountain and gardens were added by Father O'Sullivan in the 1930's.

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.