Entry #1- Pinterest
I started the week out by creating a new pinterest board, which i am filling full of images of different languages and letters. I am going to use this as inspiration to either use an already existing one or create a new one entirely using the images i have found as inspiration. We need a new language as one of the puzzles require the player to translate and spell out a word in order to get across a chasm. I am also looking into Celtic gods and goddesses as i think this is a good place to start in terms of translating a word into a different language.
I have chosen lots of images of Celtic runes, as our level is supposed to be based within a Celtic castle and so this language would be the most sensible to use. I had to do a bit of research about the history behind the Celts so that i had some idea as to what religions they followed, what language they used and the sort of culture they were. I would live to incorporate some historically accurate facts into the game, which is why i have chosen pictures of runes and began to make a list of relevant Celtic gods that we could use.
Entry #2- 3D Modeling and Sketch book work
During today's session, i decided to model some more assets for the level. The first piece i created was a generic table, which i mainly want to use within the armory too. This was pretty simple model to make and only took me around 15 minutes to do as i have already created tables before. I then went on to create a training dummy which i will also use within the armory of my level. I used Pinterest to collect some reference images that i used when i started to model the piece. This took me longer than the table as it had much more detail within the model and required more thought as to how i was going to get the desired shape and I am happy as to how both of these models have turned out.I need to continue to unwrap these models so that they are ready to be sent off to Callum so that he can texture them, however i believe he is still working on the modular kit pieces.
In addition to this, i started to do some more work within my sketch book. I created a list of horror considerations that i need to think about when trying to incorporate this into our level. I used articles i found on google to generate some ideas and now i have a list of good ideas to use within our level and things to watch out for that are often overused. I want to avoid as many cliches as possible as i feel like this will ruin the game and make it predictable. i have also created a list of games that i can play in order to gain some inspiration as to what i could include within our game to create a horror atmosphere and what works well.
Finally, i started to look into light maps for 3DS Max and UE4, as i was sent a video tutorial my another peer. I watched the video in its entirety to gain some idea and understanding as to what they are used for and how i go about doing them, which i then had a go at doing it myself. I started on the generic wall piece as i already have a texture created for this. I began by creating a second UV within the unwrap and i started to lay the pieces out accordingly as he suggested in the video. I then saved the new model and re-imported it into Unreal. I am finding video tutorials extremely useful as they provide me with the necessary information i need to complete my tasks.
Entry #3- Unreal Engine 4
I started today by completing some work within Unreal. I was watching a couple of you tube tutorials on how to create a horror-survival based game and it gave me some inspiration for what i can include within my game. I wanted to make the player hold a torch, so that this is the only light source they will have when navigating around the level. I jumped into 3DS max and quickly modeled a torch for the player to hold, which i then imported into Unreal.
The first thing i did was delete the default gun that the player has and then i rotated the characters arms so you could only see the left hand. Then i imported the torch, lined it up with the characters hand and i was finished. The problem that i had was when i played the level, the torch would stay in the same stationary position whichever way the player looked. This was simple to fix as all i needed to do was attach the torch to the first person character and now when i played the character looks like they are holding the torch. I also had to delete the function that makes bullets spawn when the player clicks onscreen, as the character no longer has a weapon to fire bullets from.