weekly school News
** Each week be sure to scroll to the bottom of the weekly newsletter for all kinds of community and extracurricular activities/events (basketball, dance, cheerleading, cross country, etc...)
1. Gotcha Prize Winners: We would like to recognize the following students for exhibiting great character throughout the week. They were selected as our "Gotcha" prize winners this week:
Alyna H., Kane B., Jessie B., Jaydin F., Jaelyn S., Julian A., Ava H., Isabelle K., Brody B., Paige T., Chase D., Dylan G., Ava G., Chris H., Aidan B., and Austin E.
2. Grandparents' Luncheon: RSVP's due March 15th (Click on the appropriate grade level below to RSVP)
4th Grade: April 10th
5th Grade: April 9th
6th Grade: April 11th
3. Temporary Office Staffing Change: We wanted to make everyone aware that Mrs. Greulich will be covering a planned leave for Mrs. Hammons, principal at Eden Elementary, for the next 8 weeks. We are happy to share that Mrs. Leliaert, former MIS 4th grade teacher and current math coach, will be filling in for Mrs. Greulich during this time. We wish Mrs. Greulich the best at Eden and look forward to her return.
4. Disability Awareness Month: During the week of March 4th - 8th, we need would ask for your participation in a fundraiser to help raise awareness and acceptance in support of student with disabilities. Please help support Greenfield-Central Community School Corporation’s Unified Champion Schools Program!
5. ILEARN Information (Replaces ISTEP):
ILEARN Practice Test Window: April 1-12 (All students required to participate prior to testing window)
ILEARN Test Window: April 22nd-May 17th (We will have more specific dates/times released soon)
6. Greenfield-Central Junior High Athletics: An important date to keep in mind for all GCJHS students/parents and current 6th graders as well: If you plan to participate in extra-curricular activities at GCJHS you must get your sports physical on/after April 1, 2019 to be valid for the 2019-20 school year.
7. MOMO Challenge: We have begun to hear more about this from MIS students so we wanted to share the following from the National Online Safety Website: Momo is a sinister ‘challenge’ that has been around for some time. It has recently resurfaced and once again has come to the attention of schools and children across the country. Dubbed the ‘suicide killer game’, Momo has been heavily linked with apps such as Facebook, WhatsApp, YouTube, and most recently (and most worryingly)... YouTube Kids. The scary doll-like figure reportedly sends graphic violent images, and asks users to partake in dangerous challenges like waking up at random hours and has even been associated with self-harm. It has been reported that the ‘Momo’ figure was originally created as a sculpture and featured in an art gallery in Tokyo and unrelated to the ‘Momo’ challenge we are hearing about in the media.
For more information, click the link below:
8. Typical Peer Program: The preschool program located at J.B. Stephens Elementary will be screening for the 2019-2020 Typical Peer Program between Friday, March 8 - Friday, March 15 by appointment only. Please see the attached for more details.
9. Yearbooks: Time is running out to order this year's yearbook. Extras are not guaranteed so don’t miss out on this amazing year. Yearbooks can be ordered online using the link below and entering our school code through March 8.
Online order code: 10768419
10. Hancock County Children's Theater: Applications are due Monday.
11. MIS Vaccination Clinic: We are excited to announce that MIS and the Hancock County Health Department have partnered to offer an onsite vaccination clinic here at MIS. The clinic will be held during the school day, and a parent/guardian DOES NOT need to be present for the student to receive the vaccines. Please see the attached letter from the health department, which provides details regarding the clinic and the registration process. Email email@example.com with any questions regarding the clinic.
12. GC Kindergarten Round-Up: Please share with your neighbors and friends who may have Kindergarten-Aged Children
13. AskRose Homework Help: Trained Rose-Hulman tutors provide free help to students in math and science. This support is available Sunday-Thursday, 7pm to 10pm (877-Ask-Rose).
14. Library News: Did you know we have eBooks available for MIS students? We received them through the Greenfield-Central School Foundation and want to spread the word. Below is a tutorial you can watch on how to gain access. The eBooks can be read on iPads or Chromebooks. Students can download the books for offline access as well. Should you have questions regarding this, please contact Ms. Lucy Gellert, GC Director of Library Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
15. Camp Invention: The 2019 camp will be July 15-19th at J.B. Stephens Elementary from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The cost per child is $230. The camp is for children entering grade K-6. If you have questions or need more information, please contact Ms. Amanda Bradford at email@example.com.
16. Breakfast & 2 Hour Delays: In the event of a 2 hour delay this year, breakfast will not be served on these days. This is due to the fact that upon student arrival our lunch staff will already be in the process of prepping lunch.
17. Safe School Alert: SafeSchools Alert is our district's tip reporting service. If you have information about a threat to our safety, do your part and report it. Please remember, you can remain anonymous. Should you have a need to report an issue, please click on the link below for details on how to do so.
18. #thankfulThursday: As mentioned earlier this year, we had a large group of staff members who met on several occasions over the summer to discuss our old "Behavior Card." The goal was to find a way to make this a more positive communication tool for our parents and students. This card was created as a scaled feedback tool to provide you with, not only the traditional information you have always received, but also a glimpse into the positive choices and leadership that your child is displaying throughout his/her day.
Knowing this, the office staff is requesting your help again. We would like to share with our staff regular, positive feedback from a variety of sources. Please take a few moments and use the link below to provide some encouragement to those folks that are making a major difference in your child's future. These comments can be anonymous, or you can provide your name. The office staff will use the provided comments every Thursday for our #thankfulThursday movement. The attached form can be completed, as little or often as you like, throughout the entire school year. We appreciate your continued support in growing the culture of gratitude that already exists at MIS!!
A couple of comments that have been shared:
"I am thankful for the time and energy Mrs. Smith invests in helping students use math tools effectively. For example, she supported students in making the transition from the calculator accommodation to the hundreds chart by teaching them specific strategies. Because she created videos of students using this tool and shared those videos with other teachers, she is able to make a positive impact beyond her own classroom. I appreciate her leadership!"
"We are thankful for Miss Strifler’s willingness to hold study sessions two mornings each week before school!"
19. School Dismissal Manager: Should you still need to sign up for School Dismissal Manager, please click the link below.
20. Volunteer Forms: Click on the link. Once you are on the page, click on the red apply button in the upper right hand corner to complete the process.
Keeping Up With the Latest Information at MIS
Click the button below for more details
MIS PTO Email Contact: MaxwellPTO.firstname.lastname@example.org
- MIS Twitter Feeds (#proud2bMIS, #MISgotchas)
March 6th: 5th Grade Human Growth/Development Program
March 12th: 6th Grade Human Growth/Development Program
March 12th: MIS Vaccination Clinic
March 13th: Jr. High Band Visit for 6th Graders
March 14th: 4th Grade Field Trip
March 14th: PTO Meeting - 2:30pm in the Library
March 18th-29th: Spring Break
April 1st-12th: ILEARN Required Practice Test Window
April 9th: 5th Grade Grandparents' Luncheon
April 10th: 4th Grade Grandparents' Luncheon
April 11th: 6th Grade Grandparents' Luncheon
April 22nd - May 17th: ILEARN Testing Window
OPPORTUNITIES AROUND MIS, GC, AND THE LOCAL COMMUNITY