1. The people of Cuba Rebelled in the late 1800's.
2. Rebels destroyed property in hopes of forcing the Spanish to leave.
3. On February 15, 1898 a bomb shattered the USS Maine.
4. The explosion on the USS Maine killed 260.
5. Americans at first thought that the Spanish were the cause of the explosion, who denied responsibility.
6. Americans wanted war with Spain, and the un-resolved case of what happened to the USS Maine, was a reason supported by many Americans to start war with Spain and take revenge.
7. President McKinley demanded a truce and an end to brutality against the Cubans.
8. McKinely and Congress were dissatisfied with just that from Spain, they declared war against Spain on April 25, 1898.
9. On may 1, 1898, commodore George Dewey launched a surprise attack at Manila bay and destroyed most of the Spanish ships there.
10. 17,00 American troops, nearly a quarter of them being African American, came ashore to fight alongside the Cuban forces to fight Americans, heavy fighting allowed.