EVERYONE HAS A STORY is a 6 month long intensive program that is built to strengthen your skills as a storyteller regardless of the genre of photography. Whether it be a wedding, family session, documentary, personal project, branding or an advertising commission, the art of identifying a unique story and crafting a visual narrative based on that story is where the power of photography resides.
Tyler Wirken and Kirsten Lewis you will guide participants through the entire process of visual storytelling including identifying the story, gaining the subject's trust, navigating logistical challenges, providing support to those involved in the project and reaching out to those who can aid in the success of a project. From ideation to execution, the art of the edit, to finding the right avenue for sharing the completed piece, each and every aspect of the process will be explored as a group as well as an individual photographer.
Each month Tyler and Kirsten will rotate teaching an interactive lesson in a group setting.
" Where do I even begin? * Finding a project, reaching out to your subjects and building a genuine relationship that will lead to trust and access.
* In The Field * We will discuss the different approaches and techniques to photographing for a narrative. From compositional storytelling to camera settings to using light to create mood. This will be the meat of the technical instruction.
* The Art Of The Edit * You personal perspective is the foundation upon which the story is built. Photographs are the lumber that is used to create a structure. The edit is the most important part, it is the way in which everything is put together. It’s the way in which the pictures are selected and sequenced that delivers a powerful narrative, it’s ultimately the home where all can gather in the end.
* The Business Of Storytelling * Especially now, since the entire world has endured a global pandemic, businesses large and small are turning to storytelling to share their branding message and to connect on a much more personal level with the consumer. As a result, having the ability to identify and articulate and deliver stories for businesses can be a great asset in terms of revenue. Both Tyler and Kirsten will share how they have created visual stories and promotional content for businesses.
* It's All About The Social* Whether it be for your personal work, your own business or for someone else’s company Kirsten will give you all the tricks and tips for using Facebook, Instagram and Tiktok as a means of sharing stories.
* Multimedia * Both Tyler and Kirsten have branched out into the world of multimedia when it comes to their photography and storytelling. They will share how they use audio and video in combination with stills to deliver powerful messages for their clients as well as personal projects.
Kirsten is a photographer based in Denver, Colorado however her work takes her around the world annually for photo commissions, speaking engagements and teaching opportunities. It was her 3 classes on Creative Live that ignited a global interest in her documentary approach to photographing families, specifically Day In The Life sessions as an alternate to the family portrait. From India to Colombia, Australia to Kazakhstan, Italy, Mexico, Turks and Caicos and London, Kirsten has brought her love of real life moments to over 30 countries in the last decade. Throughout her career beginning in 2001, she has worked as a photojournalist, wedding and family photographer, documentary photographer, branding and advertising photographer and personal photographic conceptual artist. Of all the accomplishments she's experienced, it's been Kirsten's role as mother and wife that brings her the most pride and joy.
"I have been mentoring with Kirsten for more than three years now. She has taught me an unbelievable amount, not just about photography, but about myself as a photographer. No matter where I have been in my journey over the past three years, she has met me there and pushed me beyond to new (achievable) places. She is phenomenol at providing kind, passionate, constructive critiques which give you clarity and concrete direction while building your confidence to trust yourself as a photographer. I highly recommend working with Kirsten if you want to explore photography and your relationship with it.” - Janet B
“Over the past years, through workshops, online courses, conference talks and mentoring, I have learnt so much from you. It’s not often you meet great artists who are also great teachers. I can honestly say that you have pushed me and guided me in the most supportive way to find my own voice in my work, and that has been one of the most valuable gifts I could have wished for. Thanks for your passion, for your support and for always going the extra mile for your students. You’re a great inspiration, a wonderful person and I’m so glad we met”. -Sophie C
As a documentary photographer in Kansas City, Tyler lives by the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid) and doesn't rely on a bunch of fancy tech or fuss. Instead, He depends on his training as a newspaper photojournalist and a life filled with experience under pressure. That training and experience taught Tyler to be patient and wait for the shot, to embrace adversity, and problem solve on the fly. Tyler has taught at the renowned Foundation Workshop for over 10 years, held Wirkshops in Mexico, Brazil, Spain, Argentina, and the United States, as well as a personal mentor to photographers from Amsterdam, Singapore, England, Columbia, and the United States. Tyler hails from Kansas City with his wife Pam and two boys, where his true zest for life resides.
“Tyler Wirken changed my life. There is no other way to describe it. Never have I met anyone in my life whom has played such a monumental role in not only my photography but just the general way I approach my life……No judgement on where you were coming from, just an intense desire to get you to an awesome place.” -Katie T
“What I love about learning from Tyler is that he’s real and not a “fluffer”. He’s honest, even when you don’t want to hear it. He WANTS you to be better and to learn. Tyler is humble, and bold. If you’re looking for a workshop to push you out of your comfort zone and to find what you’re passionate about, this really is the one for you.” - McKenzie R