April 11, 2218
We as government employees have achieved the first step to making life sustainable again. A few weeks ago, my team and I submitted a proposal to restart the Hetch Hetchy Project and turn it into a massive hydroelectric generator. The Hetch Hetchy Dam is located in the state of California, the valley is a part of the Yosemite National Park. As a water system and reservoir, it is the primary source of water and supplies about 80% of the water needs of San Francisco. In 1934, the Hetch Hetchy Dam project began, which was to create a hydroelectric generator to produce enough energy to power San Francisco. When it opened, it was only able to power 20% of the estimated area of coverage. As the project didn't meet set expectations, the generator was shut down and closed forever. Until now. We suggested that we rebuild the generator because, after 284 years of extreme weather and unstable conditions, the dam had fallen apart. Rebuilding will cost an immense amount of money, but it will create many jobs with hundreds of valid applicants from Cybertech. Also, it will help increase the number of tourists. As the dam will become a tourists attraction like the famous Hoover Dam. With the hydroelectric generator powering around 40% of the city, the entire valley has cut back drastically on the use of fossil fuels.
January 2, 2219
After the success with the Hetch Hetchy Project my team and I were ecstatic when the government agreed to carry out with our Public Transportation and Car Law. San Francisco now have fifteen different bus routes so more people are inclined to take the bus. The government has passed extreme laws on cars. Gasoline driven cars will now pay hefty taxes on their fuel. We have also promoted the use of electric cars. The energy for electric cars has not been taxed as high as gasoline and the government has agreed to supply for a portion of the fee to buy electric cars as they are helping the environment. This project has had a huge social and environmental impact. The streets are no longer heavy with pollution and people are slowly relapsing back into their old ways before the pollution. We have estimated that in six to seven months, children over the age of two and seniors younger than the age of ninety will no longer be required to wear oxygen masks. Smaller urban wildlife is slowly starting to return in the lesser polluted areas of the city. With the progress this project has been making, it is safe to say it is a success but yet, it does not seem like enough. My team and I still believe that we need something else to give the three pillars the final push on the road to success and restore San Francisco’s sustainability.
A Sunny Day in Sustainable Napa Valley
May 31, 2219
My team and I have been working extremely hard so far, to repair the still apparent damage Cybertech left on our home. Problems have arisen due to the now thriving market. The hydroelectric generator is supplying 40% of the power needed in the city, so the rest of the 60% are relying on fossil fuels, which is not good news for the environment. This morning, my boss gave the task of writing a proposal for improving the way the city uses the energy and how to create renewable energy, to me. Immediately, solar energy came to my mind, The valley has many places we could mount solar panels and it would create about 50% more of the power needed. This means that only about 10% of the energy used would be by burning fossil fuels. This would also create many jobs, as we will hire people to build and install the solar panels. Weeks went along, before my proposal was accepted. I went out to celebrate with my colleagues, who congratulated me on my first individual proposal that passed without a hitch. I was extremely happy, but I wasn't sure why. Was it because, I was a part of saving San Francisco from complete destruction or because I had achieved something amazing in my career path. Either way, I was overjoyed at the fact that San Francisco is back to its sustainable way of life. Cybertech is long gone and it will be remembered as a low point in Napa Valley's history. It's comforting to know that my home will once again be called the place with the “Best Wineries”, overflowing gardens, beautiful sights and for once, a clear blue sky.