Wauseon Football 2016 the trying season

The 2016 Wauseon football season was below par to standards of seasons past, but the same game time pride and hard-playing athletes remained a constant throughout the 10 game season.

Brendan Wilson led the Indians from his quarterback and line backer spots for most of the 2016 season. (Photo by Bill Bray)

Wilson, one of six seniors, was a team captain and returning All-District selection from 2015. (Photo by Bill Bray)

The Indians were busy in the preseason. Here junior Owen Newlove hauls in a Brendan Wilson pass against Rossford. (Photo by Bill Bray)

Junior Martinez was the workhorse in the offensive backfield in 2015. He is shown in one of his very first varsity carries during the Rossford scrimmage. (Photo by Bill Bray)

The 2016 Season recap

Week #1

The Indians were stunned by Fairview with a 15-21 setback. Fairview's Luke Breininger scored from two yards out and Brady Hart added the PAT five minutes into the contest.

The Apaches started strong as they tested the Indians defense led by Brendan Wilson (ground) and Hunter Yackee (#2) during first quarter action. (Photo by David B. Bliss)
The first half was a test of wills. Junior Martinez (#25) is congratulated in the upper left photo after his 93 yard touchdown run. (Photos by David B. Bliss)

As the second quarter got underway, Wauseon's Junior Martinez (#25) energized the Indians fan base with a 93 yard sprint to paydirt to give Wauseon their first touchdown of 2016. Andrew Gray converted the extra point and with 6:59 remaining in the half the Indians closed the gap to 7-14. Fairview took the momentum away from Wauseon however as a last second touchdown to end the half with a 37 yard pass from Jackson Hart to Austin Meyer erased the gap that the Indians were trying to close.

The Indians defense were able to get a hold of Fairview during second half action. (Photo by David B. Bliss)

In what was a game of two halfs, the Indians owned the second half as the defense began to jell and figure out the Apache plan of attack. But the deficit that Fairview created the first half carried them through to victory. Wauseon scored the only second half touchdown with a six yard pass from Brendan Wilson to Dawson Rupp with 1:25 remaining in the third quarter. Wilson ran for the two point coversion for the final time across the goal line in the 15-21 defeat.

Game action from the camera of David B. Bliss.

Week #2

The Fostoria Redmen came to Harmon Field and again it was an early lead by a visiting opponent that spelled disaster for the Tribe in a 21-27 set back. It was Wauseon's first back to back loss 2012. Fostoria took just over a minute to put their first points on the board with a one yard touchdown run and an extra point kick to take the early 0-7 lead. The Wauseon offense was sputtering and the Redmen took advantage as they put up six more points with :04 left in the opening quarter to take the 0-13 lead as the buzzer sounded.

Wauseon sophomore Joey Shema (#35) puts the stop on the Fostoria ball carrier during firsrt half action in the non-league battle. (Photo by David B. Bliss)

In the second the Indians defense managed to shut down the high flying Redmen. The offense gave themselves some daylight when Everette Bueter galloped 22 yards to paydirt. Andrew Gray's kick was good and the score read 7-13 for the remainder of the half.

Wauseon's Everett Bueter runs for a 22 yard score to put the Indians on the board. (Photo by David B. Bliss)

The teams shared the scoreboard equally in the third quarter. Wauseon broke out in front at the 9:49 mark on a six yard run by Bueter, his second touchdown run of the game, Andrew Gray's kick broke the tie and gave the Indians their first lead of the night 14-13. With 51 ticks left in the quarter, Fostoria was finally able to answer the Indians score with a one-yard plunge. They were unsuccessful on the two-point conversion but had the lead 14-19.

Junior Martinez (#25) gained yardage in the Indians third-quarter soring drive. (Photo by David B. Bliss)

The Indians appeared to be rolling offensively as they cross the goal line again with 7:45 left in the game. Junior Martinez joined Bueter in the scoring column with a one-yard run. Andrew Gray was good on the extra point as the Indians had a 21-19 advantage. The 'never say die' Redmen needed two points for the win and managed to get eight. With 2:12 left in the game they scored with a 23-yard pass and added salt to the wound with a two-point pass conversion to steal the 21-27 victory.

Everett Bueter (#20) (center) led the Indians in rushing with 98 yards on just nine carries and scored two touchdowns. Other game action as captured by photographer David B. Bliss.

Week #3

After reeling from an 0-2 start the Indians were faced with the task of taking out state-power Tinora in Ram country. Wauseon opened the game on offense. After a nice pass from quarterback Hunter Yackee to Owen Newlove the ball was fumbled away by the Indians. It did not take Tinora long to get on the board to take an early 0-7 lead. Wauseon was forced to go to second string quarterback Hunter Yackee after Brendan Wilson went down with a shoulder injury earlier in the week during practice. Yackee filled in admirable completing nine of 12 passes for 106 yards but Tinora dominated with 270 rushing yards to 45 for Wauseon. The Rams second score came at the 6:42 mark of the first quarter with a one-yard run by Dalton Dachenhaus. Marcus Reeves was good on his second straight extra point kick and the Rams were up 0-14 at the end of the quarter.

Owen Newlove (#24) hauls in an early pass reception from Hunter Yackee. (Photo by Bill Bray)

The Rams broke the game open in the second quarter a outscoring the Indians 0-10. Spencer Martin broke free at the line and scampered 80 yards for a Rams score that deflated the Indians defense. Reeves kick was good and Tinora was up 0-21 with 2:20 left in the half. As the half came to a close and with no time left on the clock Marcus Reeves sailed a 52 yard field goal through the uprights to further take the momentum away from Wauseon and give the Rams a 0-24 lead at the break.

Spencer Martin breaks free for his 80-yard gallop. (Photo by Bill Bray)

Tinora got the lone score during third quarter action with a one-yard plunge with 7:17 remaining to add to the domination. Reeves stayed perfect on the extra point and the Rams increased the score 0-31.

Dawson Rupp looks for running room during third quarter action. (Photo by Bill Bray)

The Wauseon Offense was able to part the sea that was the Tinora defense in the fourth quarter when Junior Martinez, who had been bottled up most of the game, broke free for a 39-yard scoring run. Andrew Gray missed the extra point and the Indians fell 6-31. Spencer Martin of Tinora was the game's leading ground gainer with 95 yards on seven carries. Junior Martinez, with the help of his 39 yard scoring run, led Wauseon with 62 yards on eight carries.

Junior Martinez (#25) helped Wauseon avoid the shutout loss with his touchdown run at the 1:48 mark of the fourth quarter. (Photo by Bill Bray)
Hunter Yackee (#2) top, got the call at quarterback in place of the injuried Brendan Wilson. Other game action from the camera of Bill Bray.

Week #4

With the sluggish start, Wauseon was ready to make a mends as NWOAL play opened against the Delta Panthers. The Indians, on their home turf to the Panthers head on and came out on top 28-14. In the previous three games, it was the slow start that spelled trouble, on this night the Indians took the upper hand early in the contest. Junior Martinez got the scoring started for Wauseon with 7:20 left in the opening quarter. Andrew Gray's kick was good for the 7-0 lead.

Brendan Wilson (#15) not only rushed for 60 yards o 17 carries with one score, but he also collected two interceptions during the victory. (Photo by Bill Bray)

The story of this game was the improved Wauseon defense. The Indians, who had given up 79 points the first three weeks, limited a good Delta offense to a single score. The second quarter provided the majority of the game's scoring. The Indians capped a drive as the quarter started with Brendan Wilson running around right end for a nine-yard run to pay dirt. Andrew Gray was good with the kick and the Tribe was up 14-0. On Wauseon's following drive, a Wilson pass fell into the hands of Jason Beverly who completed the 'pic-six'. Wauseon blocked the extra point attempt by Logan Albring as the score read 14-6 Wauseon with 8:32 remaining in the half. The Indians answered Delta's score with a two-yard run by Wilson with 1:23 remaining. Another Gray kick put Wauseon on top 21-6 as the half came to an end.

The Wauseon defense led by seniors Angel Juarez (#57) and Travis Reynolds (#64) bottled up the Panthers' running game. (Photo by Bill Bray)

The score remained 21-6 in the third quarter until with 1:33 left, Junior Martinez gave Wauseon its fourth touchdown of the night and his second with a two-yard run. Andrew Gray remained perfect with the point after and the indians enjoyed their 28-6 advantage heading into the final quarter.

Andrew Gray (#19) was good on all four of his extra point attempts during the win.

Delta did cross the goal line one more time with 10:30 remaing in the game on a four-yard Jesse Beverly run. Beverly added the two-point conversion as Wauseon gained their first win of the season 28-14.

Wauseon found that winning touch as they entered the NWOAL schedule versus Delta. (Game action from the camera of Bill Bray).

Week #5

Next up for the 1-3 Wauseon Indians were their arch rivals the Bluestreaks. The game, at Archbold would be prove to be the Indians first win at the home of their rivals since the 2004 season.

The Indians defense had their second straight dominating showing. Here Wauseon's Noah Hester (#12) and Owen Newlove (#24) put the stop to the Archbold ball carrier. (Photo by Bill Bray).

For three quarters the two rivals remained deadlocked at 0-0. Brendan Wilson led the team in the early going on the ground and through the air. The senior signal caller connected on 10 of 15 passes for 160 yards and an important touchdown pass. Wilson also was the workhorse on the ground for the Tribe as he carried the ball 19 times for 47 yards.

Senior Brendan Wilson (#15) skirts around left end behind running back Junior Martinez (#25). (Photo by Bill Bray).

The deadlock lasted nearly the entire game. As time was running out and thoughts of an overtime session began to dance in the fans heads, Wilson looked downfield and found his freshman Tightend, Sean Brock who hauled in the 30 yards scoring strike to allow the Indians to crack the scoreless egg and go up 6-0. Andrew Gray was good with the point after and the Indians won the contest 7-0. The scoring play came with 4:47 remaining in the contest.

Freshman Sean Brock (#22) grabs the pass from Brendan Wilson over the outstretch arms of the Archbold defender. (Photo by Bill Bray).
It was another superb Wauseon defensive performance as the Indians held the Bluestreaks to 13 yards on 22 rushing attempts.. (Photos by Bill Bray

Week #6

The Indians, after improving to 2-3 and 2-0 in the NWOAL, travelled to the rainsoaked Bryan Golden Bears' turf. The weather played havic throughout the contest including on the photographers. There is no visual action available but the game, an 18-7 win for Wauseon, unfolded this way. Wauseon used one touchdown apiece in the first, second and third quarters. Bryan managed a score in the third quarter against another strong performance by the Wauseon defense. Junior Martinez got the scoring started at the 7:41 mark of the first quarter with a one-yard plunge. Andrew Gray's kick was no good and the Indians were up 6-0. The Indians defense scored the next Wauseon touchdown with a 'pic-six' interception by senior linebacker Brendan Wilson with 9:20 remaining in the half. Wilson's two-point conversion try fell short and the Indians had a 12-0 advantage as the half came to an end. It was Wilson again, this time on offense as the fleet-footed senior rambled 62 yards to paydirt with 3:58 remaining in the third quarter. Bryan scored the final touchdown of the game with :11 left in the third. Damon Beltz ran in from two yards out and Joshua Jones added the extra point. It was too little too late however as the Indians prevailed 18-7. Wilson was Wauseon's leading ball carrier finishing with 93 yards on 14 carries and one touchdown. John Rittenhouse was the go-to guy for the Golden Bears as he led all rushers with 117 yards on 29 carres. With the win, the Indians moved to 3-0 in the NWOAL and 3-3 overall.

Week #7

After three straight wins and resurrecting their season, Wauseon, celebrating their homecoming game, would host the 5-1 Liberty Center Tigers into the confines of Harmon Field. The Tigers boasted All-Ohio candidate Zack Carpenter. The test was to see if the Indians defense, who had allowed just three touchdowns in their last three games, could continue their dominate ways.

Wauseon did not have an answer for Liberty Center's workhorse, Zack Carpenter. (Photo by Bill Bray).

The first quarter proved to be a defensive battle until the 2:30 mark when Wauseon drew first blood as Hunter Yackee found Brendan Wilson in the middle of the field with a 12-yard pass to put the Indians ahead. Andrew Gray's kick was blocked and the Indians were up 6-0.

Brendan Wilson (#15) snags a pass from Hunter Yackee for the game's first score. (Photo by David B. Bliss)

The Wauseon lead was short lived as Liberty Center's Zack Carpenter took over the bulk of the Tigers' offensive output. Carpenter scored his first touchdown at the 11:35 mark of the second quarter ripping off a 54 yard sprint. Orry Killam added the extra point and the Tigers had all the points they would need up 6-7. Carpenter was at it again on the next Tigers' drive. This time it was a seven-yard run with 6:01 left in the first half. Killam's kick made it 6-14 at the break.

Wauseon's offense was slow going after their first scoring drive. Thanks to a Liberty Center defense that allowed the Indians just 197 yards in total offense. (Photo by David B. Bliss.)

After a scoreless third quarter, Carpenter was at it again in the final 12 minutes with two more touchdowns. At the 11:48 mark of the fourth, Carpenter broke loose again, this time, for 67 yards and a score. Killam was good again for the PAT and the Tigers were up 6-21. On the Tigers' next offensive possession the final score of the game came on a five yard run by Carpenter. Killam's kick ended the game with Liberty Center on top 6-28

Amanda Hammontree was crowned Homecoming Queen prior to the game. Her escort was senior Jacob Raabe (#68). (Photos by David B. Bliss & Bill Bray.)

Week #8

The Indians stepped from the fire into the frying pan in week 8 as they travelled to Swanton to take on the Division V state ranked Bulldogs. Swanton took just under four minutes off the clock in the first quarter to cross the goal line for their first of five touchdowns in their 7-41 win. Marek Spiess connected with All-Ohio receiver Gunnar Oakes for the first Swanton score. Nick Kobak added the point after. The second unanswered Swanton touchdown came with 4:20 left in the opening quarter when Chase Avalos broke free for a 42 yards run. Koback added the kick and the Bulldogs had a 0-14 lead. On Wauseon's next possession, Hunter Yackee's pass was picked off by Jonathon Shanks who returned it for a score to expand the Bulldogs lead to 0-21.

All-Ohio receiver Gunnar Oakes (#11) scored was on the receiving in of the Bulldogs first score. (Photo by David B. Bliss).

The Bulldogs took a four-touchdown lead two minutes into the second quarter when Michael Lawniczak dove in from three yards out. Kobak added the kick and the Swanton advantage was 0-28. The Indians were able to answer the fourth Bulldogs' score with a 15-yard Everett Bueter run. Andrew Gray made the point after and with 7:06 left in the half the Indians were on the board but trailed 7-28. Swanton put one more scoring drive together before the half ended ending in a one-yard run by Chase Avalos. Kobak added the kick and the half ended 7-34 as Swanton enjoyed the comfortable lead.

Wauseon's Everett Bueter (#20) helped the Indians avoid a shutout loss with a second quarter touchdown. (Photo by David B. Bliss)

The Bulldogs finished off their scoring parade in the third quarter with a three-yard Michael Lawniczak run. Kobak's kick finished the scoring at 7-41. Marek Spiess finished seven of 10 for 161 yards through the air and one touchdown. Despite not scoring, Wauseon' Junior Martinez was the game's leading rusher gaining 126 yards on 13 carries. Gunnar Oakes hauled in four passes for 82 yards.

The Indians fell to 3-5 on the season with the defeat at Swanton. (Photos by David B. Bliss.)

Week #9

Wauseon came home from their two straight league losses to host a struggling, winless Evergreen Viking team. The Indians ran and passed to a 36-0 halftime lead and end the game with a 43-20 win.

Wauseon's Davon Ramos (#3) returns a punt to start the first Wauseon scoring drive as the second quaeter begins. (Photo by Bill Bray.)

The Indians were the first on the board just as the second quarter started when Hunter Yackee connected with Noah Tester for a 33 yard pass. Andrew Gray added the extra point and the Indians were up 7-0. Wauseon's second unanswered score during the quarter came with 9:12 left in the half with a 45-yard Junior Martinez run. Gray's kick was good and Wauseon enjoyed a 14-0 advantage. The Indians scored three more times during the 12 minute period. Hunter Yackee threw a short pass to Owen Newlove that turned into a 74 yard touchdown pass at the 4:20 mark. Gray again was good with the kick for the 21-0 lead. Two minutes later the Tribe was in the end zone again with an 18-yard run by Everett Bueter. Gray's kick gave the Indians a 28-0 advantage. The last Indians score came with :32 second left in the half. Yackee threw a short one-yard pass to Kyle Zirkle. Garrett Smith threw the two-point conversion to Sean Brock as the Tribe steamrolled to the 36-0 first half advantage.

The Indians defense was led by Brendan Britsch (#1) who intercepted three Nick Etue passes. (Photo by Bill Bray.)
Owen Newlove (#24) turned a short pass into a 74-yard touchdown pass during second quarter action against the Vikings. (Photo by Bill Bray.)

The lone third quarter touchdown came at the 8:08 mark of the third quarter when reserve Wauseon quarterback Cody Figy found freshman Sean Brock for a 61-yard pass play that resulted in the Indians final score of the game. Andrew Gray kicked the extra point and the Tribe was up 43-0.

Sean Brock (#22) receives a pass from Caleb Figy. Though Brock looks surrounded, he broke free for a 61 yard touchdown gallop. (Photo by Bill Bray.)

Evergreen owned the fourth quarter as if Wauseon said 'come and get us.' Vikings quarterback Nick Etue found Tyler Noe with a four yard scoring strike to put Evergreen on the board with 11:21 left in the game. Another Vikings' score came with 59 ticks left on another Etue pass to Noe. This time covering 16 yards. Nick Beemer made his second straight point after touchdown to make it 43-14. The duo of Etue and Noe teamed up for the third and final Evergreen touchdown with a 24 yard pass play. The extra point was missed and the final score was 43-20. Nick Etue finished with 10 completions on 25 attempts for 132 yards, three scores and three interceptions. Hunter Yackee had a successful night through the air completing eight of 14 passes for 191 yards and three touchdowns. Hunter VanWert led the Vikings and the game in rushing with 82 yards on 23 carries. Junior Martinez finished with 54 yards on seven carries.

Hunter Yackee (#2) completed three touchdown passes during the 43-20 NWOAL win over Evergreen. (Photo By Bill Bray.)
Six Wauseon seniors will always have pleasant memories of their final home game with the 43-20 win over Evergreen. (Photos by Bill Bray.)

Game #10

After enjoying a 43-20 win on senior night the week before, the Indians were faced with the task of facing yet another state ranked team in Division VI travelling to Patrick Henry to take on Donny Johnson and company. The Patriots, 9-0 coming into the game, was needing the win for their outright league title which had been away from their grasp for a few season. Behind All-Ohioan Donny Johnson, the Patriots scored quick and often in the 41-14 to give Wauseon their first losing season since 2011.

Patrick Henry's Mitchell Bonner (#5) makes his way down field during early action in the Patriots 41-14 victory over Wauseon. (Photo By Bill Bray.)

It took the Patriots just :45 to get on the board to start the game. The quick start by their opponent was nothing foreign to the Indians to start a contest. Kent Petersen scored Patrick Henry's first touchdown with a 29 yard dash. Petersen's extra point kick was blocked to keep the score at 0-6. After a three-and-out, for the Indians, Patrick Henry was on the scoring march again. Petersen again ran over the final yard for the score. Donny Johnson scored the two-point conversion to give the Patriots a quick 0-14 lead. Johnson crossed the line to give the Patriots their 20th point with a 10-yard dash. Petersen was good with the kick and Patrick Henry made scoring 21 points look easy.

Patrick Henry's Sean Norden (#3) catches a Mitch Bonner pass in front of Wauseon's Noah Hester (#12). (Photo by Bill Bray.)

Patrick Henry expanded their lead with two more scores during the second quarter of action. Johnson ran to pay dirt for the first score from 19 yards out. Petersen converted the kick for a 0-28 lead with 8:49 left in the half. The final Patriots' score came with 3:43 left in the quarter with a three-yard Petersen run. Petersen added the kick and the halftime score was a comfortable 0-35 with the Patriots breathing easy.

Wauseon's Hunter Yackee tries to escape from the clutches of Brock Michaelis (#88) of Patrick Henry. (Photo by Bill Bray.)

The Indians received a moral victory when they outscored Patrick Henry 14-6 through the second half of action. The Tribe scored their second touchdown of the game with a six-yard run by Junior Martinez with 10:09 left in the game. Steve Diem answered that score with the final Patrick Henry score with 4:43 left in the game. The final touchdown of the game and for the Wauseon season came with just :43 left in the game. Cody Figy connected with fellow jv'er Levi Siler with a 21-yard strike. Andrew Gray scored the final point of the season in the 41-14 season ending loss.

Congratulations to Donny Johnson (#21) and the rest of the Patrick Henry Patriots players and staff for making it all the way to a State Semi-final game in Division VI and a find 13-1 record. (Photos by Bill Bray.)

In the very near future the pictures above will be for sale at a new league photo website. More information to follow in the very near future. REMEMBER WIN, LOSE, or DRAW you have been in INDIAN COUNTRY.

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.