TAIJI SWORD & FENCING SEMINAR
11:30AM - 4:00PM AT MIND BODY SPIRIT TAI CHI
We are excited to announce our first event in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania! This single session workshop will offer some of the key practices for building a well-rounded Tai Chi Sword practice. Focusing on basic techniques for each of the major joints, our foundational tai chi sword techniques will provide infinite options for personal training, and build the skills necessary to perfect your form & understand the mechanics behind the postures.
Included in this event, we will also cover the light-contact tai chi based fencing methods known as Taiji Fencing. Taiji Fencing is both a training method and a competitive sport. This workshop will focus on the basics of studying sword combat, and understanding how to properly use the sword and protect yourself simultaneously. This fencing method can be practiced easy going (like light push hands), and is accessible to tai chi students of all abilities, ages, & experiences. These basics will have everyone moving, fencing, and smiling!
- Warmups and Joint Nourishing Exercises
- Brief Introduction to the 剑 Jian, or straight sword
- A selection of basic body mechanic exercises for foundational swordsmanship
- Partner Exercises and Application concepts/visualizations
- Taiji Fencing lessons taken from Swordsman Xia's published fencing manual
- Open Q&A and discussion on Wudang, the Internal Arts, Daoism, & Daoist Swordsmanship
- Demonstrations by Xia
Swordsman Xia's 2018 Sword Dance Performance