area location, access and visibility
The Old Saco Inn is situated near the White Mountains of New Hampshire, the Mt. Washington Valley, in the heart of the western lakes region of Maine. Fryeburg is home to the popular Fryeburg Fair. The Fryeburg Fair is a large agricultural fair held annually in Fryeburg. The fair was first held in March 1851, and in subsequent years has grown to become the state's largest agricultural fair.
For guests, adventure and exploration is available all year long in the Western Maine Lakes Region and the Mt. Washington Valley. Some highlights:
- Exploring the White Mountain National Forest by car or cycling
- Day-tripping via the Auto Road to Mt. Washington or taking the Cog Railway train to the top.
- Hiking the numerous mountain trails and scenic waterfalls.
- The Pequawket Trail Scenic Byway is a 60 mile scenic route that passes directly through Fryeburg.
- Outlet shopping in nearby Conway is a year round draw!
- The historic Fryeburg Fair fills the town (300,000!) for a week in October.
- Nearby Stone Mountain Arts Center in Brownfield, Maine, an intimate 200 seat music venue.
- Fryeburg is home to the acclaimed Fryeburg Academy, the Leura Hill Eastman Performing Arts Center, and the International Musical Arts Institute.
- Nearby alpine skiing, snowboarding and even ice climbing. Family skiing at Shawnee Peak is about 15 minutes away.