Classification is a system of categorizing things into subgroups by their characteristics.
Kingdom: Animal Class: Actinopterygii
Genus:Cyprinus Phylum: Chordata
Order :Cyprinforme Species: Cicarpio
Family: Cypriniformes Bio name: Cyprinus Carpio
- Carp are found throughout the Great Lakes region from the upper St. Lawrence River to Lake Superior
- Large and small man made reserves
- Other Regions: temperate forests, tropical forests, freshwater ponds and Wetlands
- Prefer Large slow moving lakes with soft debris
- Carp live in many inland lakes
- Aquatic ecosystems: benthic zone (lowest level of a body of water), lake ponds and river streams
How do Carp migrate to new areas
Migrating means tomove from one region or habitat to another
In the 1960's and 70's the Silver and Big-headed carp were brought to North America to improve water quality, and boost the result of fishing in fish ponds. After that they were believed to enter different major rivers by other ponds in the 1990's. Now they have started to reproduce rapidly and now are migrating to more lakes by jumping over dams and barriers.