Fo Guang Shan Lanyang Temple 佛光山蘭陽別院
Originally built in 1825 as "Qichang Tang." The temple was renamed Lei Yin Temple (雷音寺). Master Hsing Yun taught Dharma at Lei Yin Temple in 1950s. It was rebuilt during 1954-1956. Remodeling was completed in 1956, and the temple was again renamed, "Ilan Nianfohui Jiangtang (宜蘭念佛講堂)."
Due to the 1962 typhoon, the temple needed to be rebuilt again. The construction of the 4-floor building took 3 years. In 1978, Venerable Hsin Ping became the abbot of Ilan Nianfohui Jiangtang.
In 1997, the 4-story building was expanded to a 17-story building, and the name was changed to Fo Guang Shan Lanyang Temple.
Fo Guang Shan (Headquarters) 佛光山
Venerable Master Hsing Yun founded Fo Guang Shan in 1967. In 1967, Hsing Yun purchased more than 30 hectares in Dashu Township, Kaohsiung County as the site for the construction of a monastery. The groundbreaking ceremony was held on 16 May 1967.
Fo Guang Shan embarked on many construction projects, including university buildings, shrines, and a cemetery. In 1975, Fo Guang Shan's 36-metre tall statue of Amitabha Buddha was consecrated. In 1981, 15 years after its establishment, the Great Hero Hall was built.
In May 1997 Fo Guang Shan decided to close its doors to the general public to give monastics the cloistered atmosphere they need for their Buddhist practice.
At the end of 2000, President Chen Shui-bian and government officials from Kaohsiung visited Fo Guang Shan bringing with them the wish from their constituents that Fo Guang Shan re-open its mountain gate. After due consideration, Fo Guang Shan decided to re-open the monastery to some extent thereby providing the public with a Pure Land environment in which to practice Buddhism.
Fo Guang Shan Hsi Lai Temple 佛光山西來寺
Hsi Lai Temple, the North American Regional Headquarters of Fo Guang Shan, was built to serve as a spiritual and cultural center. "Hsi Lai" means “Coming to the West” and signifies the dedication of the Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Order to spread the teachings of the Buddha to those in the West.
In 1976, Master Hsing Yun represented a Buddhist group from Taiwan to participate in America's bicentennial celebration. Master Hsing Yun was asked by American friends to build a monastery in the United States. Preparation started in 1978 and in 1985, the temple was finally granted a building permit. The groundbreaking ceremony was held the following year, and the temple was completed in 1988. The opening ceremony was held on November 26, 1988.
It was officially registered under the name of International Buddhist Progress Society. Until the temple was complete, Ven. Tzu Chuang bought an old church building, which was to be Hsi Lai's temporary headquarters. The original temple, located in the city of Maywood, was called the Bai Ta (White Tower) Temple.
Fo Guang Shan Nan Tien Temple 佛光山南天寺
Fo Guang Shan Nan Tien Temple is the biggest Buddhist temple in the southern hemisphere. "Nan Tien" in Chinese, literally means "Paradise of the South".
Preparations for the temple's construction began in 1989, and construction in 1992. Since the opening of the temple in October 1995, it has become a new venue for local and international tourists and also acts as an important cultural centre bridging different cultures.
Fo Guang Shan France Ch'an Temple 法國佛光山法華禪寺
Fo Guang Shan France Chan Temple is the headquarters of Fo Guang Shan Europe. In June 2006, Master Hsingyun personally hosted the groundbreaking ceremony. In June 2010, abbess of Fo Guang Shan Europe, Ven. Manqian, presided over the consecration ceremony, and the temple officially started to host activities in July, 2012.
Templo Zu Lai 佛光山如來寺
On April 23, 1992, Master Hsing Yun visited Sao Paulo, Brazil, and was offered a beautiful villa on the Cotia Hill in São Paulo, which became the first Fo Guang Shan temple in South America. Master named it "Rulai Si" (如來寺 Templo Zulai).
On September 18 of the same year, Master Hsing Yun once again visited Templo Zulai and purchased a 100,000-square-meter land in the left rear of the temple for future expansion of the temple and construction of Buddhist college.
In 1999, another piece of land near the temple was purchased and donated to the temple for the construction of the new main shrine and temple facilities.
On October 5, 2003, the largest Buddhist temple in South America, Templo Zulai, was finally completed and Master Hsing Yun personally presided over the opening ceremony.
Fo Guang Shan Nan Hua Temple 佛光山南華寺
Fo Guang Shan Nan Hua Temple is the central religious and administrative office for all Fo Guang Shan branches in Africa, which include temples and centres throughout South Africa, Malawi, Tanzania and Congo.
On March 8, 1992, Dr Hennie Senekal, chief executive and former church minister of the Bronkhorstspruit City Council, personally visited Master Hsing Yun at Fo Guang Shan, with a donation contract of a three-hectares land. He requested Master to build a Buddhist temple in South Africa. When Dr. Senekal saw Fo Guang Shan and its substantial contribution to society, he was deeply touched. At the signing ceremony of donating the land, Dr. Senekal announced to expand the donated land to be six hectares. Master promised that the temple would bring Truth and friendship to South Africa.
Construction began in October 1992. Since then, the Temple itself, as well as the Nan Hua Buddhist Temple Guesthouse, African Buddhist Seminary (ABS), Nan Hua Village, Assembly Hall, and a Pureland Chan retreat center were built. The main temple was officially opened in 2005.
Afterwards, Nan Hua Buddhist Temple has opened branches in other South African cities, in Johannesburg, Bloemfontein, Newcastle, Durban and Cape Town.
According to Dr. Kruger Korbus from University of South Africa, this is the third time that Buddhism was transmitted to South Africa: The first time is when Indian monks brought Buddhism to South Africa 2,300 years ago; the second time is six hundred years ago when Chinese monk Zhenghe visited South Africa by sea.