Medium of the Art / Technique of the Artist
- I've always admired Frida Kahlo because of her femininity and artistic abilities. She is also an admirable strong Latina woman with passionate views about politics and love, which I aspire to be like. This is why I enjoyed seeing her photographs as part of an exhibit.
- Usually when I think of Frida Kahlo, I think of her paintings. Seeing and associating Frida with something other than her paintings was refreshing. I especially loved the pieces where she is "in action", completely enthralled in her art. Her concentration is transcendental, almost as if she entered a "meditative-like" state when painting. I also loved the traditional dress she is wearing in the photograph. It shows her strong Mexican roots and firm womanhood.
- Frida has always been a figure I look up to because if you read about her, you will learn how strong-willed and stubborn she was. Her confidence level is one I admire and strive to have.
- Looking at these portraits also instilled a Latina pride in me. Being a hispanic woman in today's society could be discouraging, but it is people like Frida that makes me strive to become a better Hispanic woman.
I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best. -Frida Kahlo
Design of the Museum
- The architecture of the Harn was part of the art itself. I love that it divided itself into several sectors to include different cultures. I think that having a place like this on campus is vital in embracing and understanding different types of cultures. Especially with all the hate going around, I think people should take a trip to this museum in order to evoke certain emotions of empathy towards other cultures.
- A specific exhibit that captivated my undivided attention was "Spotlight: Latin America". Seeing pieces from my culture always reminds me of my roots and who I am. Some of the pieces made me miss my parents home in Miami because of the uncanny resemblance to pieces we own at home. I think understanding your ancestors art is reassuring and solidifies my heritage.
Art and Core Values
- I spent most of my time at an exhibit in the museum titled "Spotlight: Latin America". I actually facetimed my dad and showed him a few paintings because we both enjoy art. We both agreed that a specific piece from Nicaragua was our favorite, merely because it is our country of origin. I think that the bond that I shared with my father over art was my favorite part of visiting the Harn. We've always enjoyed going to museums and learning about various artists and their lives. This exhibit reminded me of the core value of family and how important that bond is. I love that art can bring people together and elicit emotions of ancestry pride and patriotism. The art made me feel proud to be a Latina.
Patriotism is love of country. But you can't love your country without loving your countrymen and countrywomen. We don't always have to agree, but we must empower each other, we must find the common ground, we must build bridges across our differences to pursue the common good. -Cory Booker
Art and the Good Life
Another exhibit that I really enjoyed was one titled "Sculptures: Religion in the Round", which displayed various ceremonial pieces.For a lot of people, religion is part of what makes life enjoyable, it gives people a reason to live and morality. Although I may not understand every single piece of art or why it is vital to their culture. It allowed for me to understand that everyone has their own version of "the good life". Every culture and individual has reasons for why they act a certain way or practice a particular ritual, and we have to respect that.
This exhibit reflects the concept that the idea of "the good life" is relative to everyone. I don't understand why some artists were enticed to produce particular pieces, but if art drew them to understand themselves better, then they are completely entitled to do so. Personally, I think "the good life" is achieving happiness and self actualization. Some people do that through art, nature, or religion. It doesn't really matter how you achieve it, as long as you're content with it.