What is Matter?
Elements in the human body!!!!!!
- Matter is a physical substance in general, occupies space and possesses rest mass.
- Atom - The basic unit of a chemical element.
- Element - A part or aspect of something abstract, especially one that is essential or characteristic.
- Compound - A thing that is composed of two or more separate elements, a mixture.
- Mixture - A substance made by mixing other substances together.
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Physical Property - A property that is measurable, whose value describes a state of physical system.
Chemical Property - a property or characteristic of a substance that is observed during a reaction in which the chemical composition or identity of the substance is changed.
Physical and Chemical Change
Physical Change - Changes affecting the form of a chemical substance, but not its chemical composition.
Gemstone to Carved Gemstone
Chemical Change - A usually irreversible chemical reaction involving the rearrangement of the atoms of one or more substances and a change in their chemical properties or composition.
- Kinetic Theory - The body of theory that explains the physical properties of matter in terms of the motions of its constituent particles.
- States of matter in a glass of coke.
- Ice - Solid
- Soda Solution - Liquid
- Bubbles - Gas
Temperature - The degree of intensity of heat present in a substance or object, especially as expressed according to a comparative scale and shown by a thermometer or perceived by touch.
Thermal Energy - The internal energy of an object due to the kinetic energy of its atoms and/or molecules.
- Gases - A collection of widely separated molecules.
- Liquids - The intermolecular attractive forces are strong enough to hold molecules close together.
- Solids - The intermolecular forces between neighboring molecules are strong enough to keep them locked in position.
Changes in States of Matter
- Evaporation - The process of a substance in a liquid state changing to a gaseous state due to an increase in temperature and/or pressure.
- Sublimation - When anything solid turns into a gas without first becoming a liquid.
- Condensation - Water that collects as droplets on a cold surface when humid air is contact with it. The conversation of a vapor or a gas to a liquid.
Conservation of Mass and Energy
- Conservation of Mass - A principle stating that mass cannot be created or destroyed.
- Conservation of Energy - A principle stating that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can be altered from one form to another.