Translated by: Mao Mao (1-7;30-40) and ignorme (8-29) PR: TCC
【Production by DTinLAC Excavator Team of Exposé Revolution 】
The mysterious death of a female scientist
What are behind the mysterious death of a female scientist? Season 1.
After Mr. Wang Jian (former chairman of HNA) was killed, his younger brother tried every means to benefit from his huge insurance claims and his wife kept silence. The only person who told the true story to the world was his “enemy” Guo Wengui! This is really ironic!
Zhao Yongfang, a female scientist, died in a weirder way than Wang Jian: she died twice and in two different countries! What a tragedy!
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 2:
DT Note: All the information comes from the Internet; the personal information of non-public figures is hidden.
On April 17, 2020, a strange piece of news was released in many Chinese domestic medias with a headline: Yongfang Zhao, a female scientist of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, died of illness!
Mysterious death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 3:
This news referred to Zhao Yongfang, a female scientist who died on 15th August 2016.
Why did a person died in 2016 show up again in the news in 2020? !
What were secrets hiding behind Zhao Yongfang and her death? Please allow the DT Excavator Team of Exposé Revolution to dig it out.
Please note that all the information is from public materials published on the Internet.
Let's look at Zhao Yongfang’s personal information first: (Summary of internet information):
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 4:
Zhao Yongfang (former researcher at the Institute of Biophysics of the Chinese Academy of Sciences), female, born in 1977, PhD mentor, served as the team leader of the Innovative Research Group of the State Key Laboratory of Biomacromolecules, the Institute of Biophysics of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
Zhao Yongfang died of a sudden illness at the age of 39 in the PLA 306 Hospital.
Note: Sudden illness!
By “Brain Heaven”, a speculative and well known “drug” in China, to die of Happiness? -
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 5:
For a so-called sudden illness, DT comments it: bullshit!!
The Chinese Academy of Sciences carries out a very high-level medical examination for all staffs every year. So the sudden illness did not sustain! ! Besides, what kind of illness was this? Why was there nothing reported? What were they afraid of? ! Can the “Sudden illness” cover everything? Of course, under oppression of the CCP, no one dares to say or ask anything.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 6:
- Name: Zhao Yongfang
- Date of birth: 1977
- Sex: Female
- Birth place: Qixingtai Town, Zhijiang City, a county-level city of Yichang City, Hubei Province, ranked the second among siblings, with an older brother and younger sister in her family;
- Family: Husband, working in a Shanghai Institute of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- Her son and her daughter can only speak English, but not Mandarin.
Only the couple returned to China from the United States; all other fellow students who went studying abroad during the same period stayed, worked and lived in the United States.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 7:
Zhao Yongfang's Resume:
- In 1993, studied in Class 3 of the First High School in Zhijiang, Hubei Province;
- In 1995, obtained the highest score of 639 ranked the first among female student, and was admitted to the School of Life Sciences, Wuhan University.
- In 1999, she was enrolled under guaranteed entrance to the Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Science; in 2004, she received a Ph.D. in the State Key Laboratory of Biomacromolecules, Institute of Biophysics, the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 8:
- In 2006, Zhao Yongfang was admitted to Columbia University for postdoctoral research and worked as a research assistant.
- In 2010, she was invited and returned to China to participate in the “International Symposium on Membrane Biology”. Her presentation attracted attendees’ interest immensely. The discussion about transporter mechanism between Zhao Yongfang and Yan Nieng, a professor of Tsinghua University was regarded as the classic piece by its peers.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 9:
In 2013, Zhao Yongfang decided to return to China while 11 girls of her classmates have chosen to stay abroad. She was awarded into “Thousand Young Talents Program” and appointed as the research team leader of Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences. After she returned, her laboratory was established soon after.
The “laboratory of the Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences” was custom-made for her. But what were her study and findings that caused her death？
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 10:
After entering the Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, she has served as a full-time research faculty and dedicated to study subjects related to structure and function of membrane proteins.
At 0:20 on August 16, 2016, Zhao Yongfang, a researcher of State Key Laboratory of Biomacromolecules, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, was announced dead from an acute illness despite all treatments in PLA No.306 Hospital at age of 39.
This was posted on NetEase.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 11:
Hold on. Let’s take a look at what Beijing News reported
Cause of death: accident!
Anyone would tell the difference between “accidental death” and “acute illness”. So why did the CCP bother to play tricks on these words?
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 12:
The most weird thing was that there was a Procuratorate in a development area in Yangzhou city, Jiangsu Province reported that Zhao Yongfang died at her US’s home.
Is this a joke??
This was a scientist’s death of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. How did this have anything to do with a procuratorate in a second-tier or third-tier city, Yangzhou. Interesting! Yangzhou City. Whom do you think of? (Jiang Zeming?)
Figure legend: (in red circle) Last night, Zhao Yongfang had an accident fall from stairs at home but failed in resuscitation, died at age 39!
自2007年起，赵永芳曾前后在权威科学期刊《Nature》上发表三篇论文，其中两篇论文是以第一作者身份发表。她还在专业权威期刊《Nat Chem Biol》上以第一作者身份发表过一篇文章。此外，赵永芳还于2015年获得了国家自然科学基金优秀青年科学基金资助。 
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 13:
Her personal achievements:
Since 2007, Zhao Yongfang published three papers in Nature, an authoritative scientific journal, and she was first author in two papers. She also published an article in the professional authoritative journal Nat Chem Biol as first author. In addition, Zhao Yongfang received funding from the National Science Foundation for Distinguished Young Scholars of China in 2015.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 14:
Who discovered talented Zhao Yongfang?
In her resume, we need to focus on her research topics and her laboratory. Let’s start with the sensational discussion between Tsinghua University professor Yan Nieng and her about ‘mechanism of transporter’ in the “International Symposium on Membrane Biology” in 2011 (this is a quite a professional topic).
Let’s take a look the research achievements of Yan Nieng:
女科学家赵永芳的离奇死亡 15 :
在《自然》Nature发表Structure and mechanism of the uracil transporter UraA（尿嘧啶转运蛋白UraA的结构和机制）的科研论文，在世界上首次解析NAT（Nucleobase/Ascorbate Transporter，核苷碱基-维生素C转运蛋白）家族蛋白UraA的晶体结构，解决了生物学一大难题
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 15 and 16:
Let’s check out transporter mechanism.This should be the nucleobase-ascorbate transporter (NAT), one of Yan Nieng’s research achievements (https://www.nature.com/articles/nature09885). On March 20, a research team led by Yan Nieng, professor at School of Medicine and adjunct professor of School of Life Science of Tsinghua University, and Wang Jiawei, associate researcher of School of Life Science, published an article in Nature. In this article, for the first time in the world, they determined the crystal structure of nucleobase/ascorbate transporter UraA and this resolved one of the major problems in Biology.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 17:
The absorption of vitamin C and various nucleobases is conducted by a class of transmembrane transporter family and NAT proteins as media. It remains to be puzzled that the underlying mechanism of the transmembrane transportation. Nucleobase/ascorbate transporter NAT protein family, also known as nucleobase-cationic transporter 2 (NCS2) protein family, plays a role in physiological activities of updating various biological nucleoside bases.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 18:
Nucleoside bases are important components of DNA and RNA and essential molecules of various organisms. Vitamin C plays a vital role in human health. Insufficient vitamin C intaking can cause scurvy. Therefore, knowing the 3D structural information of NAT protein family and the mechanism of their physiological activity is very important. Yan Nieng’s research team revealed the puzzle by solving the crystal structure and its mechanism.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 19:
We can make a basic conclusion that Zhao Yongfang and Yan Nieng are researcher in same field and both are female. The differences between them is that one is a beautiful female scientist and an apprentice of Shi Yigong and the other one is an ordinary female scientist.
We can search the research achievements of Zhao Yongfang
2016年11月1日PNAS杂志发表生物物理所题为“Structural basis for DNA recognition by STAT6”的论文，首次揭示STAT6对N4位点DNA识别机制。
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 20:
On November 1, 2016, PNAS published a paper with title “Structural basis for DNA recognition by STAT6 ” in which the identification mechanism of position for STAT6 to N4 site DNA was revealed (https://www.pnas.org/content/113/46/13015). Ouyang Song was the corresponding author of the research project and Li Jing, a doctoral student from Liu Zhijie research group and Dr. Jose Pindado from Cheng Genhong research group in UCLA were the first authors.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 21:
The subject has been gotten great help from Zhao Yongfang’s research group from Institute of Biophysics, Yang Jie’s research group from Tianjing Medical University and professor Gong-Hong Wei from the University of Oulu, Finland. The research was funded by National Natural Science foundation of China, the Ministry of Science and Technology, Beijing Municipal Science and Technology Commission and Youth promotion association of Chinese Academy of Sciences.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 22:
It’s worth mentioning that the paper was published on November 1, 2016 that is about almost 3 months after Zhao Yongfang’s death on August 15, 2016. Base on the paper’s author, Liu Zhijie research group and Dr. Jose Pindado from Cheng Genhong research group in UCLA became first author while Zhao Yongfang’s research group became the assistants.
Yan Nieng announced her new research result on May 30, 2016.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 23:
This research was completed together with Academician Gao Fu who is the current director of China’s CDC. Do you feel interesting? I do. Gao Fu will also appear in the further excavation of Wuhan P4 Lab in other tweets.
I remember there is a eunuch in Prince Yong’s palace of Qing Dynasty and he is also called Gao Fu....
Let’s continue, who is Yan Nieng?
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 24:
Yan Nieng is a beautiful female scientist.
I will post other tweets about her. Let’s just focus on some key points here first:
- She is a mentee of Shi Yigong who is a professor at Princeton University.
- The Standing Committee of 12th Committee of the All-China Youth Federation. The chairman of the Federation is Wang Hongyan who is also the current Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Youth League and Pony Ma (Ma Huateng) is one of vice-chairmen.
- Her close friend Li Yinuo is the chief representative of Gates Foundation (Beijing Office).
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 25:
Who is Liu Zhijie?
According to published paper, it should be Liu Zhijie who worked at Institute of Biophysics in Beijing at that time. In fact, he had left the institute when the paper was published.
Let’s search for Liu Zhijie:
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 26:
Liu Zhijie has worked at the Institute of Biophysics of Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing prior to November 2014 and was responsible for the State Key Laboratory of Biomacromolecules. After this, he was appointed as deputy director of the iHuman Institute of the School of Life Science of Shanghai University of Science and Technology. The Institute is led by Jiang Mianheng, Jiang Zemin’s son. Now we can see the connection to Jiang’s family.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 27:
This meant Liu Zhijie was not working in the Institute of Biophysics in Beijing when the paper was published. Even so, his student was listed as the first author of the paper. It showed only one possibility that Zhao Yongfang’s research group was under Liu Zhijie’s assignment for sub-tasks. I would like to stop digging Liu Zhijie here temporarily. In academia, he is a big figure.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 28:
It should be noticed that Rao Zihe is an expert of the State Key Laboratory of Biomacromolecules, the Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences. He is a doctoral supervisor and researcher. He should be the doctoral supervisor of Zhao Yongfang and her husband during their Ph.D. program and was in charge of research work in the lab during that time. I will tweet about the relationship of the lab and Wuhan Institute of Virology later.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 29:
I guess Zhao Yongfang’s doctoral supervisor is Rao Zihe but I do not have direct evidence. But a report caught my attention: Lu Jinhu, who led the talents of the “National Ten Thousand Talents Program” and was the chief scientist of the State Key Research Programs, was her high school alumni and colleague.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 30:
Lu Jinhu said that Rao Zihe, an academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, also appeared at Yongfang’s funeral. "Mr. Rao has rarely attended any public events, but this time he came for her funeral to say farewell to her."
Rao Zihe appeared at Zhao Yongfang’s funeral, but why can we not find any public information about her mentor? From the overlapping of Rao Zihe and Zhao Yongfang, one could infer that Rao might be her mentor. Their relationship does not look like a senior to subordinate but at least some special relationship.
- 1 博士生同学
- 2 同时赴美
- 3 在美期间生女
- 4 归国后两地分居，在上海的中科院某研究所工作。
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 31:
Zhao Yongfang’s husband
The information of Zhao Yongfang’s husband was also deliberately concealed, but it can still be inferred from other people’s recall about Zhao.
- 1. they were fellow students during the PhD program.
- 2. they went to the U.S. at the same time
- 3. they have a baby at the time when they were in the U.S.
- 4. After they returned to China, they were separated; and her husband worked in an institute of the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Shanghai.
- Below is her husband’s photo: (Someone said they can tell the fortune from what the person looks like. Let’s take a look at him~~~)
- 赵永芳的老公, 曹禹,
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 32:
- Zhao Yongfang husband, Cao Yu,
- Researcher, team leader, PhD supervisor
- Research direction: molecular mechanism of transmembrane biological process; macromolecular drug research and development
- research interests: Researcher Cao Yu studies in the field of the structure and function of transmembrane biological processes and molecular pathology of major diseases caused by abnormalities in transmembrane processes.
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist Zhao Yongfang 33:
Cao Yu’s main research focus on:
- 1. Energy molecule transmembrane transport and metabolic abnormalities
- 2. Synthesis and metabolism of lipid molecules in the lipid membrane,
- 3.The discovery of membrane protein drug targets and the development of macromolecular drugs,
- 4.Comprehensive use of cryo-electron microscopy, X-ray crystallography, biochemistry and other means to achieve atomic level analysis and dynamic reduction of important transmembrane live activities and to reveal the molecular mechanism of the occurrence and the development of major diseases.
- 2017年9月至今，上海交通大学医学院附属第九人民医院，上海精准医学研究院 中国科学院分子细胞科学卓越创新中心（属于中国科学院上海生命科学研究院）研究员。
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 34:
Resume 1 of Cao Yu, Zhao Yongfang’s husband
- 1. From September 2017 to the present, Cao has been a researcher at Shanghai’s Ninth People's Hospital affiliated to Shanghai institute of Precision Medicine, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiaotong University, and Center of Excellence in Molecular Cell Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences (belonging to the Shanghai Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology)
- 2. From October 2014 to August 2017, he was a researcher at the Shanghai Institute of Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- 导师： 饶子和
Mysterious Death of a Female Scientist, Zhao Yongfang 35:
Nearly all the relevant people related to Zhao Yongfang’s death were dug out: Let ’s illustrate them in this chart:
- Zhao Yongfang
- Husband: Yu Cao
- Supervisor/mentor: Rao Zihe
- Colleague: Liu Zhijie
- Colleague: Yan Nieng
- Colleague: Shi Yigong