Types of Clouds By: Tristin McDoNell

What are clouds?

What are clouds? Clouds are a mix of cold and hot air, mixed in with evaporated water. Clouds form when the hot sun hits the water it is easier for it to evaporate. Clouds can hold up to 90% of water. The other 10% is minerals mixed in with the water and air.

What is a Stratus cloud?

A stratus cloud is a gray flat sheet that is among the horizon. It is mostly known for holding snow or rain. It can range up to 2000 meters or 6500 feet. They are thick, large, and gray. It is mostly caused by heated water because it evaporates faster.


Dark, low-level clouds accompanied by light to moderately falling precipitation. Nimbostratus clouds are mainly composed of water droplets. They generally lay betweeen 2,000 meters (6,500). These clouds can consist of snow and ice particles.


A cloud forming masses heaped on each other above a flat base at fairly low altitude.


Cloud forming a continuous uniform layer that resembles stratus but occurs at medium altitude. It can be around 2-7 kilometers (6,500- 23,000 feet)


Cloud forming a layer of rounded masses with a level base, occurring at medium altitude, usually 2-7 kilometers (6,500-23,000 feet).


A cloud forming a towering mass with a flat base at fairly low altitude and often a flat top, as in thunderstorms.


A cirriform cloud of class characterized by thin, white patches, each of which is composed of very small granules or ripples of high altitude, about 6,000-12,000 meters (20,000-40,000 feet)


Cloud forming wispy filamentous tufted streaks at high altitudes of 5-13 kilometers (16,500-45,000 feet).

Created By
Tristin McDonell


Created with images by 3dman_eu - "clouds sky cloud" • AdinaVoicu - "sun sky cloud" • cletch - "Commerce Township Clouds" • Nicholas_T - "Convergence" • Bazar del Bizzarro - "cumulus#cumulo#23370" • Nicholas_T - "Hover" • sneetchbeach - "Altocumulus." • Osbornb - "Cumulonimbus" • likesilkto - "santiago chile sky" • ComputerHotline - "Cirrus"

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.