Element of design: line
Definition: Line is often referred to as the most basic element of design". Yet this simple element function in complex ways. Used effectively, line expresses a variety of verbal and visual concept.
Line an element of art used to define shape, contours, and outlines; also to suggest mass and volume. It may be a continuous mark made on a surface with a pointed tool or implied by the edges of shapes and forms.
Characteristics of a line are:
- - width- thick,thin,tapering,uneven.
Types of line
- Outlines-lines made by the edge of an object or its silhouettes
- Contour lines-lines that describe the shape of an object and the interior detail
- Gesture lines-lines that are energetic and catch the movement and gestures of an active figure
- Sketch lines-lines that capture the appearance of an object or impression of a place
- Calligraphic lines-Greek word meaning "beautiful writing" precise,elegant handwriting or lettering done by hand also artwork that has flowing lines like an elegant handwriting
- Implied line-lines not actually drawn but created by a group of objects seen from a distance implied line is direction an object is pointing to, or the direction a person is looking at