- the front page, contents and double-page spread of a new magazine (if done as a group task, each member of the group to produce an individual edition of the magazine, following the same house style). There should be a maximum of four members to a group. All images and text used in the main task must be original and produced by the candidate(s) with a minimum of four images per candidate.
Some examples of magazines done by students:
You research current examples of a media industry (choose from film/music/print/video games/radio) and find out how digital technology is transforming its relationship with its audiences. Does Netflix or Youtube mean your local cinema is finished? Are social media a threat or an advantage to Warner Brothers? Is print dead?
The structure of the exam for A2:
You will continue using your blogs that you created for AS, but will create a separate menu for A2, stating the brief you chose.
The briefs you can choose from are the following:
- Option 1: music promotion package: A promotion package for the release of an album, to include a music video (major task), together with a website for the band and a digipak for the album’s release (minor tasks).
- Option 2: film promotion package: A promotion package for a new film, to include two trailers (major task), together with a website for the film and a poster for the film (minor tasks).
- Option 3: documentary package: An extract from an original documentary TV programme, lasting approximately five minutes (major task), together with a website for the documentary and a poster for the documentary (minor tasks).
- Option 4: short film package: A short film in its entirety, lasting approximately five minutes (major task), which may be live action or animated or a combination of both, together with a website for the short film and a postcard advertisement for the film at a short film festival (minor tasks).
Examples of past works of students:
Websites & Digipacks
- Rihanna - http://rihanna-now.weebly.com/
- The XX: https://georgiawalker192.wixsite.com/mysite
- Robin and the Backstabbers: http://robinandthebackstabbers.weebly.com/
- Deftones: http://mariabega25.wixsite.com/deftones
- Subcarpati: http://streangmaria.wixsite.com/subcarpati
- "Unregistered" short film website: https://moldot517.wixsite.com/neinregistrat
You will be asked to answer to 2 questions to describe and evaluate your skills development in your production work from Components 1 and 3.
This part will require you to focus the discussion of your own skills development on to one or two specific production practices from the list below:
- use of digital technology
- research and planning
- using conventions from real media texts.
This part will require you to select one of your own productions and evaluate it in relation to a media concept from the list below:
- media language.
We will approach this topic by answering to 4 QUESTIONS:
- What are the different versions of post-modernism (historical period, style, theoretical approach)?
- What are the arguments for and against understanding some forms of media as post-modern?
- How do post-modern media texts challenge traditional text-reader relations and the concept of representation?
- In what ways do media audiences and industries operate differently in a post-modern world?
You will manage to answer to the above questions by referring to and studying at least 2 different types of media: ways in which post-modern media relate to genre and narrative across two media, computer/video games, virtual worlds, augmented reality and new forms of representation, post-modern cinema, interactive media, social media and social networking, reality TV, music video, advertising, post-modern audience theories, aspects of globalisation, parody and pastiche in media texts, or a range of other applications of post-modern media theory.
Expect to Have fun, teach your colleagues, discuss about memes and other social media issues, use your phone during classes, act or guide actors, visit the cinema projection room and printing companies, Meet media professionals, watch movies, organise & visit art exhibitions, take part in the annual Art&media camp @ Baisoara, meet other international students, be creative and resourceful when it comes to ideas, locations, photoshoots, technologies.