Important things to know about your Wedding at Dunnottar Castle...
- Weddings may take place during Castle opening hours of 10am and 5pm between 1st April and 30th September. During the months of July and August Weddings are only permitted between 10-11am and 3-5pm due to high numbers of castle guests.
- Ceremonies should begin no later than 4pm to allow sufficient time for yourselves and your party to enjoy the setting before closure.
- A maximum number of 60 guests is permitted at any Wedding
- There are 272 steps to access the Castle itself, wit this in mind, the castle is not a suitable setting for those with mobility issues. You can however elect to be married on the Castle cliffs, where there are no stairs needed to be taken but the ground is at times not entirely flat.
- The walk from the car park to the Castle, including taking the stairs, will take most fit persons around 10 minutes. Less able guests may need 20 minutes to make their way safely.
- Flat shoes are recommended for everyone attending, especially for weddings within the Castle itself, at least for the journey to the Castle.
- The Castle does not close to the public during your Wedding, other tourists and guests will still be able to access the castle. Though, if due to inclement weather you require an indoor setting for your Ceremony, you will have one hours exclusive use of the Drawing Room for your privacy.
- There is no option to have the Castle exclusively to yourself.
- Seating for up to 20 people can be provided within the Castle drawing room. The Smithy and Chapel locations can only be provided with up to 4 chairs. Unfortunately it is not safe to bring chairs up and down the steps so you may not hire additional chairs in to the castle drawing room, smithy or chapel.
- No seating is provided for Clifftop Weddings, if you wish to have chairs in this setting they should be hired from an external supplier by the couple.
- A small amount of storage space can be provided the day before your Wedding for any decorative or personal items.
- No alcohol is permitted to be consumed at the Castle
- Catering is not possible at the Castle due to a lack of electricity.
- Paper confetti is not permitted at the castle, only fresh or dried petals are allowed and may only be used on the cliffs and beach areas. Confetti is not permitted within the castle walls.
- Real candles are not permitted in any of the Castles locations. LED or battery operated candles should be used instead, if you wis some for decorative purposes.
- In the case of inclement weather where the Castle has to be closed, groups of up to twenty persons can be accommodated in the Castle lodge for your Wedding ceremony. I you intend to have a wedding with more than twenty persons in attendance, you must make arrangements for your own alternative ceremony site in the case of inclement weather.
Fee's to host your Wedding at Dunnottar Castle...
2022 Weddings - £1125
2023 Weddings - £1200
What is included?
- Free visit to the Castle at a pre-arranged time to visit and decide on location for Wedding ceremony and photographs
- Access for yourself and all of your guests to the Castle on the day of your Wedding
- 60 mins private use of the Drawing Room for your Wedding ceremony, in the case of inclement weather
- The right to bring a professional photographer and videographer to the Castle to capture your Wedding day
- A Wedding co-ordinator who you can contact any time to ask questions and advice throughout your engagement
- A Wedding co-ordinator present at your Wedding to assist with set up and give guidance to wedding suppliers and guests. Wedding co-ordinator will be present from 45 minutes before your Wedding ceremony until you depart the Castle
Help to plan from afar...
If you are travelling to Scotland from afar to host your Wedding or Vow renewal at Dunnottar Castle and would like some help to plan the entire event, we recommend two wedding planning companies.
For Weddings of 25 or more
For Weddings of 25 or less
Additional costs to host your Wedding in Scotland...
It is important that you fully understand the additional fee's to be married in Scotland and at the Castle which are not included in the castle hire fee, these are;
- The cost of a marriage visa application with the UK government (Only necessary if you are not an EU citizen)
- The cost of your application to be married with the General Registrar for Scotland (Everyone needs to do this)
- The cost of an Officiant to host your Wedding - whether Religious, Humanist, legal or symbolic
- Costs to travel to and from the castle on the day of your Wedding
- Any other Wedding supplier charge such as Photography fees, florists, entertainers etc
Malmaison Aberdeen - the vibrant gem amidst Scotland's Granite City. Just a stone's throw from the city centre, this hotel boasts 79 rockin' rooms and suites including the prestigious Dunnottar Suite. Each with big beds, power showers and creative décor.This is where comfort meets style. Our incredible location, sublime food and drink and Scottish hospitality make this one of the finest hotels in Aberdeen.
Malmaison kindly offer preferential rates for Dunnottar couples and their guests, including a complimentary drink on arrival for the Bridal couple.
Contact your Wedding Planner for more details
Ardoe House Hotel
As far as sumptuous accommodation in a lovely setting goes, Ardoe House Hotel has it all. This 4 star hotel complete with swimming pool, spa, restaurant, bar, whisky bar and function space has everything that you and your guests could need to make your stay in the local area comfortable, special and relaxing.
Just fifteen minutes from Aberdeen city and twenty minutes from Dunnottar Castle, Ardoe House is in the perfect spot.
Ardoe House offer Dunnottar couples a fantastic discounted rate for their accommodation and Wedding dinner, including an indoor Ceremony space at the hotel should the weather at Dunnottar not be on your side!
Sun to Thurs Elopement package including 1 nights stay for the couple - From £750
Sun to Thurs package for 20 guests including 2 nights stay for the Couple - From £1750
Contact your Wedding Planner for more details
Elsick House - Exclusive Use
Elsick House combines the charm of an historic building with newly refurbished interiors. This fabulous 11 bedroom, 9 bathroom country house is located just 10 minutes drive from Dunnottar Castle.
Complete with 4 grand but cosy reception rooms, fabulous grounds and plenty of space to entertain for up to 60 guests in privacy, Elsick offers a truly exceptional space to stay with your family and friends for this very special occasion.
You and your family can arrive the day before your Wedding and enjoy this beautiful country house, before hosting a fabulous Wedding meal after your Wedding Ceremony is completed at Dunnottar Castle
3 night weekend stays from £4680
2 night midweek stays from £2835
Contact your Wedding Planner for more info
James Kelly Photography, Nicholas Frost Photography