Important things to know about your Wedding at Dunnottar Castle...
- Weddings may take place during Castle opening hours of 9am and 6pm between 1st April and 30th September. During the months of July and August Weddings are only permitted between 9-11am and 3-6pm due to high numbers of tourists.
- Ceremonies should begin no later than 4pm to allow sufficient time for yourselves and your party to enjoy the setting before closure at 6pm.
- A maximum number of 60 guests is permitted at any Wedding
- There are 272 steps to the Castle and there is no other way to access the Castle other than by the stairs, hence there is no disabled access for yourselves or your guests.
- The walk from the car park to the Castle entry will take most fit persons around 10 minutes. Less able guests may need 20 minutes to make their way safely.
- Flat shoes are always recommended for Bride and Bridesmaids, at least for the journey to the Castle.
- The Castle never closes to the public during your Wedding, other tourists and guests will still be able to access the castle during your Wedding, though you will have one hours exclusive use of the Drawing Room for your privacy.
- There is no option to have the Castle exclusively to yourself.
- Seating for up to 24 people can be provided within the Castle drawing room. Anywhere else at the castle can only be provided with up to 10 chairs. Unfortunately it is not safe to bring chairs up and down the steps so you may not hire chairs in to the castle.
- No seating is provided for Clifftop Weddings, if you wish to have chairs in this setting they should be hired from a hire company.
- A small amount of storage space can be provided the day before your Wedding for any decorative items or sparkling wine and plastic glasses for your guests.
- You may bring sparkling wine equivalent to one glass per guest to serve after your Wedding ceremony. Strictly no more alcohol will be allowed due to the clifftop location of the Castle.
- Catering is not possible at the Castle due to a lack of electricity.
- Paper confetti is not permitted at the castle, only fresh or dried petals are allowed.
- Naked flames are not permitted and battery operated candles should be in use if you wish to have some for decorative purposes.
- In the case of inclement weather where the Castle has to be closed, groups of up to twenty persons can be accommodated in the Castle lodge for your Wedding ceremony, larger groups will have to be transferred to the Stonehaven registry office.
Fee's to host your Wedding at Dunnottar Castle...
2019 Weddings - £950
2020 Weddings - £975
What is included?
- Free visit to the Castle at a pre-arranged time to visit and decide on location for Wedding ceremony and photographs
- Free visit to the Castle at a pre-arranged time to have a rehearsal with your Wedding officiant
- Access for yourself and all of your guests to the Castle on the day of your Wedding
- One hours private use of the Drawing Room for your Wedding ceremony or drinks reception (Highly recommended that you choose to reserve this for the time of your ceremony in case of poor weather)
- The right to bring a professional photographer and videographer to the Castle to capture your Wedding day
- A Wedding co-ordinator who you can contact any time to ask questions and advice throughout your engagement
- A Wedding co-ordinator present at your Wedding to assist with set up and give guidance to wedding suppliers and guests. Wedding co-ordinator will be present from 45 minutes before your Wedding ceremony until you depart the Castle
Help to plan from afar...
If you are travelling to Scotland from afar especially to host your Wedding at Dunnottar Castle, we can offer additional help to plan your perfect Wedding without the worries that come with planning a Wedding abroad.
This is an optional add on service.
Elopement Planning with Timeless White
This service ensures that our clients receive the guidance and advice that they need to understand the paperwork, the ceremony options and traditions so that they can make the best decisions for their Wedding.
- Unlimited Skype meetings to discuss your Wedding questions and plans in detail (At a time that suits you, in your timezone!)
- Sourcing of up to five Wedding suppliers for your Wedding (Officiant/Photo & Video talent/Reception or Wedding meal location/Entertainment/Hair Stylist/Make up artist/Transport/Wedding cake/And others...)
- Advice on the legalities, paperwork and marriage application process
- Advice on currency exchange and international payments
- Advice on the time allowances and schedule of your day
- Completion of a miniature Wedding file containing all of the information about the five Wedding Suppliers arranged by us
- Access to your Wedding file online
- Final checks with all five suppliers in the 10 days leading up to your Wedding
- Handle any last minute queries or problems should they arise
Please let your Wedding co-ordinator know if you wish to book the Elopement Planning package.
Additional costs to host your Wedding in Scotland...
It is important that you fully understand the additional fee's to be married in Scotland and at the Castle which are not included in the castle hire fee, these are;
- The cost of a marriage visa application with the UK government (Only necessary if you are not an EU citizen)
- The cost of your application to be married with the General Registrar for Scotland (Everyone needs to do this)
- The cost of an Officiant to host your Wedding - Religious, Humanist or other.
- Costs to travel to and from the castle on the day of your Wedding
Malmaison Aberdeen - the vibrant gem amidst Scotland's Granite City. Just a stone's throw from the city centre, this hotel boasts 79 rockin' rooms and suites including the prestigious Dunnottar Suite. Each with big beds, power showers and creative décor.This is where comfort meets style. Our incredible location, sublime food and drink and Scottish hospitality make this one of the finest hotels in Aberdeen.
Malmaison kindly offer preferential rates for Dunnottar couples and their guests, including a complimentary drink on arrival for the Bridal couple.
Contact your Wedding Planner for more details
Ardoe House Hotel
As far as sumptuous accommodation in a lovely setting goes, Ardoe House Hotel has it all. This 4 star hotel complete with swimming pool, spa, restaurant, bar, whisky bar and function space has everything that you and your guests could need to make your stay in the local area comfortable, special and relaxing.
Just fifteen minutes from Aberdeen city and twenty minutes from Dunnottar Castle, Ardoe House is in the perfect spot.
Ardoe House offer Dunnottar couples a fantastic discounted rate for their accommodation and Wedding dinner, including an indoor Ceremony space at the hotel should the weather at Dunnottar not be on your side!
Sun to Thurs Elopement package including 1 nights stay for the couple - From £750
Sun to Thurs package for 20 guests including 2 nights stay for the Couple - From £1750
Contact your Wedding Planner for more details
Elsick House - Exclusive Use
Elsick House combines the charm of an historic building with newly refurbished interiors. This fabulous 11 bedroom, 9 bathroom country house is located just 10 minutes drive from Dunnottar Castle.
Complete with 4 grand but cosy reception rooms, fabulous grounds and plenty of space to entertain for up to 60 guests in privacy, Elsick offers a truly exceptional space to stay with your family and friends for this very special occasion.
You and your family can arrive the day before your Wedding and enjoy this beautiful country house, before hosting a fabulous Wedding meal after your Wedding Ceremony is completed at Dunnottar Castle
3 night weekend stays from £4680
2 night midweek stays from £2835
Contact your Wedding Planner for more info
Wedding Suppliers we can arrange for you...
Brides Bouquet and Grooms Buttonhole
A traditional handtied bouquet in the style and colours that you wish along with a buttonhole to match for your groom. Your flowers will be delivered to you on the morning of your Wedding to a location in Aberdeen or Stonehaven.
Fee - £200
Traditional Scottish Bagpiper
Present to play as your guests arrive to the castle, for your Bridal entrance and during your Ceremony if you wish as well as for 30 minutes after your Wedding Ceremony as your photographs are taken.
Fee - £225
Glitter & Twigs are a well established local Wedding Photography company offering photography by the hour for those couples who may not wish to invest in a full day of photography while hosting their Wedding at Dunnottar.
Inga's lovely soft shooting style without being invasive is really perfect for a venue like Dunnottar and with so much to work with, you are guaranteed many beautiful images.
Photography from £275 per hour for the first four hours, £220 per hour after that.
Travel and online gallery are included in these rates.
Ask your Dunnottar contact for more info.
James Kelly Photography, Nicholas Frost Photography