Byron Bay High School delivers a collaborative learning environment where students achieve excellence through our connection with community and land, creating holistic leaders of the future.
Dates for your diary
- Wednesday 3 February 2021 will be a normal four period day with NO SPORT.
- The last 40 minutes of Period 4 will be House Meetings for selection of Captains and information regarding the Swimming Carnival on Wednesday 10 February.
- Mon 1 Feb | All students back today – DAY 2
- Fri 5 Feb | School Photo Day
- Wed 10 Feb | Swimming Carnival
- Mon 15 & Tue 16 Feb | SRC 'Sweet Heart' Fundraiser
- Tue 16 Feb | School Photo Catch Up Day
- Tue 16 Feb | FNC Swimming Murwillumbah
- Tue 16 Feb | P&C Meeting
- Wed 24 Feb - Fri 26 Feb | Camp Koinonia, Evans Head
Thu 11 Mar | Vaccinations - Year 7
- Thu 1 Apr | Last day of Term 1
- Fri 2 Apr | Good Friday
- Sun 4 Apr | Easter Sunday
- Mon 5 Apr | Easter Monday
- Tue 20 Apr | First day of Term 2
Welcome back to all our students and their families for the beginning of another great year at Byron Bay High School,
Your teachers and support staff collaborated over two full days of professional learning this week; analysing the strong 2020 HSC results, diving into the construction and implementation of our new School Planning Cycle 2021 -2024 and reviewing school policies.
We are all excited to have our students back for a new year of learning. Today's Year 11 and Year 7 began their year with conference days. After a year meeting with Mr Lee Year 12 headed straight to their first lessons. On Monday 1 February we will all begin the day with a full school assembly.
Please don't hesitate to contact the school with any changes in families that could impact students time at school or any school concerns.
Ms Janine Marcus - Principal
Change of details or address
Please remember to notify the school in writing if you have changed your address or details over the holidays. This would include changes to work/home telephone numbers or email addresses for either parent, family circumstances.
Please fill in the Change of Details form attached and return to the front office.
Records information regarding student’s emergency contacts and special needs must be current. Please notify the school of all changes promptly. This enables computer data to be updated. It may prove critical in an emergency.
Wednesday Sport begins Wednesday 17 February - important payment details below
Welcome back everyone, I hope you all had an enjoyable break and are ready for 2021.
Term 1 Sport will kick off on Wednesday 17 February (Week 4) and run until 31 March. Sports notes will be handed out today Monday and payments can be made online via the Byron Bay High School website.
- Parents can pay online via our website by clicking on Make a Payment at the top of the homepage
- If you make an online payment your permission slip MUST be returned the next day with the receipt number on it to finalise processing and secure your spot in the sport.
- Only students are able to make payments at the front office (due to no onsite access to parents and carers) from Monday Week 2.
- Early payment together with the permission slip secures your child’s spot in the sport. Some sports fill up quickly so early payment will help avoid disappointment.
Please be aware of what sports are available to different year groups, these will change throughout the year so if your year group misses out this term you will have the opportunity later in the year.
Non-paying sports and students who have not selected a sport by Wednesday 3 February will select their sport during allocated class time. Students will be informed of these times.
Students wanting to participate in surfing for sport MUST have a Surf Survival Certificate. This is a Departmental requirement and is not negotiable. This course is run Term 1 and 2 as a sport choice.
Sport is a compulsory part of Byron Bay High School curriculum therefore all students Years 7 to 10 must attend. Medical and other appointments where possible should be made OUTSIDE of sport time. Students who are sick or injured will be catered for at school, they will need to supply a note from home to be documented at school.
Active Kids and Creative Kids vouchers can be used for parkour, trampolining, circus and skating. If you would like to use these then please write the voucher number on the bottom of the permission slip and pay the remainder of the invoice online or at the front office. Students with vouchers must give a copy of their voucher to the provider at the venue on their first day.
Mrs Kelley Caoyonan - Sport Coordinator
2021 Swimming Carnival
Wednesday 10 February
Our annual swimming carnival is on next Wednesday 10 February. The expectation is that all students will attend the carnival, it is part of the Byron Bay High School calendar as are all of our carnivals.
There are plenty of events for all students, competitors and non-competitors will have events to swim in all day. Go in as many as you like!
An email with all information was sent yesterday to all families. It outlines transport to the pool, the program for the day and pool entry costs.
Parents unfortunately are unable to attend due to Covid restrictions.
Mrs Kelley Caoyonan - Sport Coordinator
School Photo Day - Friday 5 February
Fill in this envelope - students need to hand it to the photographer on Friday 5 February!!
IMPORTANT PHOTO INFO
- School Photo envelopes will be handed out to students Monday 1 February
- Students must give their envelope directly to the photographer on photo day
- Payment must NOT be made to the school
- All payment details are on the envelope
- Students must wear correct school uniform
- If you would like a sibling photo, these envelopes will be available for collection by your child from the front office
- School Photo catch up day is Tuesday 16 February
Sweet Heart Fundraiser
Students can support a very worthy cause by purchasing Heart Kids bracelets for just $5 each
For Congenital Heart Disease | 15 - 16 February 2021
On Monday 15 and Tuesday 16 February our SRC students at Byron Bay High School will be selling Heart Kids bracelets. Students will be able to purchase a special $5 heart beads bracelet to help support families impacted by Congenital Heart Disease (CHD).
Students may also like to buy one for a loved one following the weekend of Valentines day.
The bracelets symbolise the beads that many of our heart kids receive during hospital stays, with each distinctive bead representing a specific challenge, procedure, or treatment that children with CHD have endured.
Mrs Leah Miles and Mrs Lara Cranfield - SRC Coordinators
Tuesday 16 February - All Welcome!
The Parents and Citizens Association meet on the third Tuesday of every month during term from 7 pm to 8:30 pm in the school library. All parents and care givers are welcome to attend.
The meetings provide an informal opportunity to engage the school principals, teachers and other parents/caregivers and discuss important issues for the school and its students.
Year 7/11 Camp Koinonia Evans Head
24 to 26 February 2021
All notes and money are now due for the camp. All students will have received a copy of the note today, Friday 29 January and they have also been previously emailed. We would like all Year 7 students to attend this camp. The camp is aimed to be fun and build social relationships between students who will have to work with one another for the next six years. Trained Year 11 peer support leaders will assist teachers in the activities at the camp.