The United States is already overpopulated in the sense that we are consuming our national ecological resources at an unsustainable rate. -FAIR
- 40% of US land is used for agriculture but due to rising population, it is dropping for suburban development
- Only 5% of original forests remain after destruction to make space for people and for use
- Decline of water levels have been in sync with the increase of water pollution in which now 40% of rivers, 46% of lakes, and 50% of estuaries are too polluted for human use
Over time, low fertility has caused China’s population age structure to change dramatically. - East Asia Forum
Most parts of China are actually struggling with a type of under population. Due to their long standing one- child policy instated in 1980, researchers have shown that the working age population has dropped so much that there is not enough people to work in some factories. However, China still has a lot of people which also still effects pollution as well as the waste the factories cause from manufacturing.
Rapid rate of growth of population has been the root cause of food problem. -Economics Discussion
- insufficent amounts of food for people which then effects health and productivity
- food shortage results in needing to import food which is expensive and the work force also suffers which leads to poverty
- large population also results in unemployment leading to large clusters of people to move to urban areas looking for work and making many areas have very low standards of living to hold so many people
In Niger, where GDP per capita is less than $1 per day, the average number of children a woman is likely to have in her life is more than seven. - The Guardian
The population is growing so rapidly in Africa with so little to spend that the people are hoping that fertility rates will decrease so that they will not have to resort to other ways to control conception. The overpopulation in Africa is also affecting how much money the government has to spend on living standards such as water supply as well as deteriorating the status of women into becoming further uneducated and pressured to use contraceptives.
The effects of population growth in one country will also transfer to another country and cause a domino effect all over the world resulting in:
- water shortage
- air, water and land pollution
- increased crime
- power shortage as well as distribution
- bad distribution of resources causing hunger and death
and many more...