BACKGROUND ON SULEIMAN THE MAGNIFICENT
- Suleiman the magnificent was known as the "Law giver".
- Was born6 November 1494 Trabzon, Ottoman Empire
- Died 6 September 1566 (aged 71) Kingdom of Hungary
- Suleiman the magnificent was the sultan (leader) from 1520 to 1566.
- Suleiman was handed Down the position of sultan after his father died in 1520.
- They called him suleiman the magnificent because he significantly expanded the empire in the Balkans and eastern Mediterranean.
- Süleyman’s armies conquered Hungary, over which the Ottomans maintained control for over 150 years, and they advanced as far west as Vienna, threatening the Habsburg's.
- In the Mediterranean, their navy captured all the principal North African ports, and for a time the Ottoman fleet completely dominated the sea.
- His religion was Islam