Sailing is fun - but even more fun with a pet on board - and especially a cat!
Meet Captain Cooper, my cat who's sailed over 6,000nm with me!
To date, "Captain" Cooper has sailed over 6,000nm and he's not even 3 years old yet! He lived aboard and taught sailing with me full time since he was a kitten. Cooper is currently the only one of my three cats to have experienced sailing - and he is definitely one amazing boat cat.
Things that are helpful to having a cat on board:
- Lifejacket - XS dog size works great for Cooper
- Water activated strobe light (for when they accidentally fall overboard)
- Cat carrier or soft crate they can be zipped into
- A Collar with a bell
- Carribeaner / D-ring Clip
- Line (aka rope) to use as a tether
From an early age, Cooper has been trained to be apart of an adventurous, travel-themed life.
I hated the idea of having to leave him on the boat when I went ashore or wanted to go bike riding so decided to try to teach him to do as much as possible with me - from walking on a leash to sitting on my shoulder on bike rides.
To see what Cooper is up to, Follow him and his sisters on Instagram: