1. Most Texans were farmers or ranchers.
2. Small farmers did chores on their own without slaves.
3. Only in towns and cities did people have jobs that had nothing to do with farming or ranching.
4. Small towns were homes to blacksmiths, carpenters, tailors, and other artisans.
5. Land speculators are people who bought large amounts of land in hopes of making profits.
6. Speculators would sell small lots of the land in hopes of making profits.
7. After Texas Independence, Roman Catholicism was no longer the official state religion.
8. Denominations are organized religious groups with similar beliefs.
9. Circuit riders are traveling preachers.
10. Academies are schools that offered classes at the high school level.