To start off my team and I created a design for our barrel support. Below is an image of my team's first design for the barrel support. Later that day we realized that the support was not very effective. We spent that day coming up with various ideas to try to figure out the best support system for our cannon.
We went through about 3-4 ideas until we settled on this one. This was the most sturdy idea out of them all.
But we did run into a few problems getting to this point. One problem was that the notches on different sides of the box were not lining up with each other. The other problem was that the circles on the supports were kind of a tight fit on the barrels. With patience and teamwork we were able to solve these problem.
Learning About Circuits...
We took a break (about 1 month) to learn about circuits.
During this time we built many types of circuits on the Arduino One. It was important for us to learn this so that we would be able to incorporate circuits into future designs. This gave us ideas on the type of circuit we wanted for our Battleship canon.
Here is a link to the circuits I recreated online and videos of the ones my team recreated on the Arduino.
On the first day, my team and I took about 30 minutes to understand the different parts that would be needed to build the canon. We watched videos that taught us how to prime and glue the pipes shown below. This was pretty helpful because no one in my group had done that before. We sketched our initial design for our canon for about 15 mins then went into the shop to measure and cut our pipes using the Miter Saw.
My main job was to take photographs and record the progress we made but I still assisted with the cutting of the pipes this day.
This week we put our barrel support on to the barrel now that it dried. We made a rough sketch of how we wanted our base for our canon and how it would function.
We did run into trouble with fitting our barrel support on the canon. The top piece did not fit correctly so we had to find the document and redesign and reprint it. Then we finally glued that piece on.
The next class we with the idea to use a protractor for measuring angles. We also came up with a way to attached our pulley system to the cannon and worked on finalizing a few other parts.
We did not get a chance to print our parts on the ShopBot as we planned but we did continue refining our parts on Onshape. Sara and I use a saw in the BSD Shop to cut a few pipes. I also drew a complete concept drawing of my team's "battleship" design.
First we divided up the different parts that needed to be created or redone for our battleship. Everyone was assigned a part. I worked on all of the parts that involved the base of our battleship. We also had to redesigned the legs of our project because we neglected to account for how much our cannon actually weighed.
Today the team worked on knocking out,sanding all parts, gluing some parts and redoing some parts. I worked on knocking out parts and photography. We also had a problem with the barrel supports for our pipes so we redid them.
The next class everyone worked on putting all of the parts together and we got majority of it done. I also did photography for this day.
We spent this day building the battleship and I did photography. This was also midterms week so we only had one class period.
This week we completed our battleship.
We spent a day working on peer reviews. Giving feedback to each other on the team was helpful because allowed everyone to understand where they could improve. My responses can be found in the link below at the end of this portfolio. This day my team and I put final touches on our "battleship".
The last day of that week we were finally ready to go outside and start testing. It was pretty successful. Tiara handled the air pressure, Elizabeth, Charles and Sara worked on data and scoring and I did photography, retrieval and loading.
This entire week consisted of testing. Everyone was assigned the different roles from the previous week. I received the same roles and continued with photography, retrieval and loading.