Why is irrigated agriculture so important?
Trupti explains the meaning and importance of Bhungroo like this: "Bhungroo means "straw" in our local language. It is a simple pipe that allows storing excess water in underground aquifers, and then using it for irrigation during droughts. Women farmers work together in self-help groups, they can manage one Bhungroo collectively. Thus they are able to transform their lives. It's my dream that each and every woman who is contributing in the agricultural sector should be recognized”.
Results of Bhungroo
- Food security and sustainable livelihoods for 50 thousand marginalized farmers.
- From local to global: 32 franchises established in 5 countries with a goal to reach 5 Million beneficiaries.
- Reduction of extreme poverty: family income raised up by 500% in 5 years.
- Coastal zone adaptation and water protection model.
- Over 8000 acres of agricultural land irrigated without over-exploitation of ground water.
- 121 trained women climate leaders.
Impact of the Award for Trupti and Naireeta Services
In 2018, Trupti won the award with her technical solution. During the 2019 awards ceremony, at the Climate Summit in Madrid, she told the new winners how she had used the prize and the accompanying mentorship workshop to further develop the program: “The Award and its mentorship inspired a new business model for accessing our water collecting technology. We have now applied a new pricing policy, taking into account customers’ financial capacity to pay. This new policy enables smallholder farmers to overcome financial barriers and upscale the dissemination of the technology”.
Read more about our campaign through #Herstoryofchange.