What are Legumes?
Legumes are a part of the family Leguminosae and also known as Fabacae from their plant family. They are produced worldwide and are known as a grain legume. they are grown for their edible seed (Iqbal et al., 2006, p. 331).
The Eat For Health government website describes Legumes as seeds that originate from a plant; they are consumed in two forms, immature or mature. Immature includes beans and green peas. Mature includes chickpeas, beans, lentils and dried peas (NHMHR, 2015). The Eat For Health website also explains how much you should eat, what you can do with legumes and the health benefits attained from eating legumes.
Where do i purchase Legumes?
In what form are they generally purchased in australia?
How can they be incorporated into recipes?
- Legumes can be added to soups, stews, curries, salads, casseroles, Mexican cuisine, dips, rice dishes, stirfry’s, pasta’s and so much more. They add flavour, colour and texture to food.
- The Heart Foundation describes legumes as, "a great source of plant protein, they are also low in fat. They’re full of fibre and they have a low glycaemic index (GI) which means they can help you feel full for longer. Beans and lentils can also be a useful source of iron and zinc for vegetarians." (heartfoundation.org.au, 2016).
DESIGN CHALLENGE WITH LEGUMES
Choose a recipe from a SET SELECTION and brainstorm three possible legumes that could possibly be incorporated into the recipe. Consider such elements as flavour, colour, texture and appearance and resources such as time, money and availability. Redesign your chosen recipe including ingredient quantities.
FROM THE FOOD FOR YOU - Australian Curriculum Edition - Middle Secondary Book 2 I HAVE DECIDED TO REDESIGN...
Recipe: Sticky Date Pudding and Caramel Sauce - PagE 186
I'M GOING TO ADD A LEGUME TO MY STICKY DATE PUDDING RECIPE. I WILL INCORPORATE 3 DIFFERENT LEGUME DESIGN IDEAS BEFORE CHOOSING THE ONE I WILL PRODUCE.
- FENUGREEK SEEDS
- RED KIDNEY BEANS
Peanuts will be quite easy to incorporate into the Sticky Date Pudding. They could be added chopped into the batter mixture before baking. Alternatively they could be crushed into a paste and added to the butterscotch sauce to add a richer flavour. The flavour and texture of the dish would be greatly enhanced by the addition of peanuts. Availability and cost is not an issue as peanuts are readily available and very low in cost.
Fenugreek Seeds could be incorporated by using them as a side dish accompaniment to go with the Sticky Date Pudding. They could be soaked in hot water, strained then served as a tea or hot drink to accompany the dessert. Fenugreek provides a maple syrup like flavour that would compliment the dessert. The seeds can be easily purchased in most Health Food Stores. I found them located in Coles at a cost of $4.39 for a 500g packet. The cost is only slightly more than the cost of purchasing peanuts.
RED kidney beans
Having researched Red Kidney Beans, I stumbled across a recipe incorporating them as a paste into a Red Velvet Cupcake recipe. I think utilising this similar method and reducing the liquid component of the recipe the Red Kidney Beans may be suitable. However I am unsure of the taste and whether the flavour would be affected as a result. The colour leans more towards a Red Velvet Cupcake than the colour of a Sticky Date Pudding which is generally brown. Red Kidney Beans are readily available and very cost effective. A home brand tin from a supermarket can be purchased for less than $1 per tin.
Which one will be the best?
I have decided to incorporate the Peanuts, they will add the best flavour and value to the dish. Peanuts are already a common item utilised in desserts.
I have decided to make 3 modifications to the current recipe. all of the ingredient amounts have been kept the same as per the recipe.
- Add crushed Peanuts to the batter to add flavour and texture.
- Add Pecan nuts to the top of the pudding for added texture and flavour before baking.
- Change the self-raising flour to gluten free self-raising flour as my wife will be assisting me with eating the end product. She is gluten intolerant and this will enable her to be able to eat the completed recipe item.
Copy of the recipe for pubLication
Now its time to cook the Sticky Date Pudding with Caramel Sauce. To start I need to purchase the ingredients ...