Minutes 1.23 Regan Cobb

Convocation given by Senator Crosland.

Roll taken by Secretary Cobb.

Senators Reinker, Schneider, Fretwurst, Hutchinson, and Albert found absent.

Presentation given by Kristen Dean

  • The Problem: Cost (rising at 3x the rate of inflation)
  • 65%-84% Clemson students report not buying the required texts
  • 35%-50% of students take fewer classes each semester, delaying graduation
  • These materials are temporary
  • Textbook prices compromise access and equity (hit low-income students the hardest)
  • The Solution: Open Resources
  • Peer- reviewed and written by experts
  • Customizable by faculty and students
  • Freely and instantly available online, without expiring
  • Licensed under legally robust Creative Commons
  • Many universities and non-profits are paying for it
  • Many case studies supporting this
  • Faculty retain the freedom to choose course textbooks
  • Talk to faculty and #AskForOpen

MF: What is the relationship like between the bookstore and the library?

KD: We need to look at our contracts. Faculty has no obligation to the bookstore.

MM: Motion to open the gallery.

IK: Have you asked Pearson why their access expires?

D: It is intellectual property. It is under federal copyright law.

IK: Is there a possibility that there could be a book sale?

D: Yes. Lets talk about that.

MH: What is the relationship like with the professors? What could be done to fix the problem?

D: We do recognize that professors need to update syllabi. I’m not expecting a 100% success rate. The big problem is awareness. Having the conversation is the push.

BB: Are we allowed to endorse other alternatives?

KD: We do have a contract with Barnes and Noble. Look at contract.

PB: The kickback is something I’ve heard about.

KD: The bigger problem is that professors require textbooks that are written by the professors. Or offer money as well.

PB: Is there thought to allow students to print in Dothit hills?

KD: That’s an interesting point.

JM: Can you elaborate on the other institutions using this?

KD: It is fairly new, so I don’t have a lot of numbers for you. This is a growing movement.

JS: 93% benefit from this. What happens to the other 7%?

KD: In any study we can’t factor in other things.

JL: Universities sometimes pay for these. Is it possible that the university would create fees on students’ bills?

KD: This is not the point. No-profits are not making money off of this. This is for the human good.

JS: Is there any requirement for teachers to put their input on content? Instead of just reading the textbook?

KD: Teachers evaluations are taken seriously. Tell someone if you’re teacher is not teaching. The answer to your question is no.

Academic Affairs: Leland Dunwoodie

  • Shoutout
  • Perry Bolick
  • Major/Minor Fair
  • February 13
  • Shreya + Mar
  • Academic Videos
  • DIRS is back
  • Creative Inquiry
  • Tuesday 12:30pm
  • Cooper Library - Main Lobby
  • Ideas for AA
  • Ideas Form
  • Contact Info
  • 269-759-4768 | ldunwoo@g.clemson.edu

Athletics: Trevor Newton

  • Ticketing Updates
  • Postseason ticket confusion
  • Let me know if you never received a refund etc.
  • Meeting this week to discuss the changes for next football season
  • Campus Recreation Updates
  • Campus Rec looking to hire a GA to be a trainer for club sports ($12,000 for 9 months)
  • Clemson Marketing Committee
  • Calm before the Roar
  • We might be taking matters into our own paws
  • Athletic Dept. being somewhat unresponsive
  • March 1st vs. NC State looks to be the new date
  • BASKETBALL UPDATES
  • 7-0 December
  • 0-7 in January…
  • FOOTBALL UPDATES
  • 2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
  • Contact Info: Phone: (864)-508-6334
  • Email: trevorn@g.clemson.edu

Campus Life: Robert Lee Storey

  • Barber Shop Updates:
  • Working on parallel legislation with Graduate Student Government
  • Presenting to Almeda Jacks on Tuesday on why the Barber Shop should be relocated on campus
  • Touching base again with companies we met with last semester to encourage them to accept Tiger Stripe
  • Goal of meeting with new companies on a weekly basis
  • Dining Hall Hacks videos to come very soon.
  • Presenting them to Dining in our next meeting.
  • Input for Campus Life? Mention it here! http://goo.gl/forms/9iOUDqvkVn

Finance and Procedures: Lindsey Wright

  • Two pieces of legislation going through BOTH READS PLZ
  • Emma Schafer, the new Elections Director, is here for both bills. Don’t hesitate to ask her any questions you may have!
  • Elections Committee Appointments
  • Elections Bylaw Changes
  • Met with the Elections Director a few times over the past week, moving forward with new rules and the election process for the new term for Senate and Study Body Pres/VP
  • Miller, Rachel, and B will sit on as liaisons from F&P
  • If you have any elections related questions, please contact me first and then Emma. Her email is emmalis@g.clemson.edu
  • FIRST FUNDING BOARD OF THE YEAR IS NEXT WEDNESDAY
  • Spring budget hearings coming up as well: February 23, 24, 27, and 28th
  • Molly and John will sit in and work on legislation
  • Organizations Legislation bumped back by Campus Activities and Events and will go through next week! Waiting on further updates from the Organizations Committee
  • Partnering with Forrest, Study Body Treasurer on some bylaw legislation
  • Conor Kolstad, the CUSG Finance Director is coming to present next week
  • Beginning overhaul of handbook formatting/uniformity → Alexander taking the lead
  • CBBS meeting with Rachel: waiting to hear about availability with the new financial officers
  • Cole working with ASC and Career Center on financial preparedness for seniors
  • Has had multiple meetings and they are moving forward into the implementation process with Cole’s input
  • B and John working with OCES and the Attorney General on new disciplinary project
  • As always, hmu if you have any questions or just wanna chat (864) 421-5006 @lindseywrong

Health and Human Services: Jess Schnorr

  • Shoutout to my girl Lauren for becoming an Aspire facilitator!!
  • Peer Mental Health Support Group: Anna, writing project proposal
  • Collegiate Recovery Community: Jess, Janay, Lauren, BIG meeting next month
  • LGBTQIA+ Advocacy: Jacob, setting up Ally training opportunities
  • Minority Retention: Lauren and Madison, working on a mentorship program
  • Condoms in Residence Halls: CU soon
  • Party.0: Lauren, partnered with BYX this week!!! Becoming an org!!
  • CAFE and Quest for Real Food: Jacob, meeting with CAFE coordinator & RL
  • Sexual Trauma Advocates: Jordan, writing a resolution with Joey
  • Cancer Support Group: Kara, asked to gauge interest with email survey
  • Youth Violence Prevention Program: Janay, working with Michelle Lussier
  • Student Accessibility in Athletic Facilities: Jordan, pressing for a meeting this week
  • Mirror Stickers: Jess, in need of Healthy Campus’ blessing
  • #blessed for more Senate. hmu: 843.619.1555 // jschnor@g.clemson.edu // @yayyjesss // snapchat me: yayyjesss // be my guardian in Clem

Transportation and Facilities: Jacob McMeekin

  • Everyone is beginning to work on projects:
  • Constituency Report has over 100 responses so far!
  • Check out what we are doing: https://trello.com/b/Hmz4PCp1/transportation-and-facilities
  • FILL OUT OUR CONSTITUENCY REPORT
  • Parking and Transportation:
  • Bike Share:
  • Expected to be up and running around Spring Break
  • Stations to be solar powered!
  • New commuter spots coming near Little John, expect email with announcement from parking services in the coming week or so
  • Working with Izzy on transit for Y Beach

University Services: Dory Askins

  • Canvas transition - hopefully yours has been smooth!
  • First ITSAB Meeting this week – “Calm Before The Roar” and TedX
  • Mar – Major/Minors Fair – February 13th
  • Perry – yield time - CI and iRoar Governance Board
  • Bryson – setting up meeting with Clemson Online and the ASC regarding Online SI, meeting with Chief Allen regarding NROTC, working with Lauren on Study Hours in the Valley
  • Mikey – Partnering with Healthy Campus for Food Summit, Feed and Seed Director is on board, potential food trucks from Greenville

Secretary: Regan Cobb

  • Baton
  • Meet the Senators
  • VCs: Keep updating points!!
  • Capital Improvement
  • Applications due Jan. 30th
  • Senate-Feburary 13th
  • Share graphic for me pretty please!!
  • Points Opportunities
  • Share Capital Improvement graphic (1)
  • From Kelly: (2)
  • I could use about 10-12 volunteers for Spring Tiger Prowl on Thursday in the North Green! The event runs from 12-3, but I could really use volunteers starting at 10:30 am because organizations start checking in at 11!
  • Below I have the sign in sheet, my committee members have already filled it out. Just add your name and email to the list & then highlight the boxes you'll be available for!
  • https://docs.google.com/a/g.clemson.edu/spreadsheets/d/19oMICl-j6gE48j0TG7bcQQ5fs0Eqt1agENVZY_F5Isc/edit?usp=sharing
  • New Senators
  • Look out for an email for committee placements yay!
  • Come see me after Senate :)
  • Having trouble with card access? Let me or Bryce know!
  • Interested in being the next me? Text me! 770-871-9311

Clerk: Steven Patrick

N/A

Pro Temp: Samuel Reinert

  • Ad hoc @Kung fu tonight!
  • Spring mentor/mentee program
  • Formal will be February 18, ticket sales starting soon
  • If you’re interested in Pro-Temp, let’s talk 864-934-6840

Student Body VP: Nicki Seidman

  • Working with Kara and CAPS to create a survey for cancer support groups
  • Spring Scene planning
  • CUSG Wide Meeting in which we also have the State of the University Address
  • Joey, AJ, and Emory are working on Values Statement Committee/Project
  • Keep the offices clean please! (from Chief of Staff Bryce)
  • Town Hall ideas? Let me know! 843-323-7900
  • We are starting to assign cabinet members projects to work on in order to complete our platform
  • We will be sending out an email to the student body to update them on our progress thus far
  • Elections...
  • Cabinet Updates:
  • Military Affairs: 22 for 22 on Library Bridge
  • Organizations: Spring Tiger Prowl this Thursday on the North Green from 12-3 with lots of interactive activities!
  • Share cover photo
  • Spring Recognition deadline is February 3rd for organizations that did not get recognized in the Fall
  • Judicial Branch: First General Body J Board Meeting is Tuesday at 6:00pm
  • Elections: Interest Meetings and legislation this week
  • Treasurer: Funding Board is Wednesday
  • schedule for funding board is on my.cusg.com
  • Governmental Affairs: Report Card presented in Columbia this past Wednesday
  • Activities: CUSG Banquet is potentially March 29th
  • Agricultural Affairs: Shag for Ag and Destination Clemson is a pre-orientation for CAFLS students
  • Development Committee: Spring Service Project
  • Research Committee: designing an archive system to digitize all records
  • Sustainability: Sustainability Education Week 2/20-2/24 and Recylcmania 2/5/17-4/30/17
  • Transfer Council: TigerPalooza on April 8th
  • CODA: just had a successful Tunnel of Oppression on Thursday

President: David Gundana

  • Academic grievance committee
  • 8 senates left with the last one being March 13th
  • Meeting with Altheia Richardson got pushed back
  • New Senators!

New Business

Bill No.33

KD: Suspend the rules and send this bill into second read.

BD: Objection.

BD: I move to make a friendly amendment to line 11.

Authors accept

KD: Suspend the rules and send this bill into second read.

LD (pro)

MM: Move to call Bill No.33 into question.

Bill passes

Bill No.34

To Amend the Student Body Handbook

Authors: Lindsey Wright and Emma Schafer

BB: Can you talk about where these rules come from?

LW: Those first 17 rules pertain to the top fifteen.

BB: Are these rules still up to date?

LW: We are in a time crunch this year. Last year there was a forum that allowed students to voice their opinions.

NS: How do you plan to keep track of budget?

LW: These items are accessed at fair market worth. It is up to the elections director digression.

KS: What would happen if these rules were violated?

LW: This is outlined in the bylaws, but Emma has an anonymous email as well?

MH: Will you elaborate on the need to pass this bill now?

LW: It has a lot to do with the transition taking places.

MR: I was wondering how money would affect freedom of speech?

LW: These rules will hold you to a higher standard.

MM: Motion to send Bill into 2nd read

AC: There is a strong correlation between money and free speech.

MM: This would of passed in October. All of these changes have not been simply brought up. We are not blind slighting. People were aware of this.

AC: Objection

Division

Roll taken.

Senators Reinker, Fretwurst, and Lynn found absent.

Created By
Regan Cobb
Appreciate

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.