During the course of this unit in graphics, I used and experimented with various letter forms to create certain impressions upon the reader.
To begin our progress with playing with letterforms, it was important to break down the letters to what they consisted of; basic shapes. Because of this, we went looking for letterforms that had been created accidentally; letterforms that weren't intended to be letters.
Finding these letters was much more difficult in practice than it was in theory. I ended up finding most of these letters stumbling around at night in a basement carpark, looking for anything that vaguely resembled a letter. "W"s were surprisingly hard to come by. However, I did cheat a little by using the car brand as an "S", as the logo was supposed to be a stylised "S". I made a few of these letters myself, such as the "i", "R", and "N".
Some letterforms seem much easier to find than they really are. For example, I'd expected finding an "S" to be easy. All I needed was two curves! Some letters were predictably hard to find, like the "B". What I found was that I often expect simple letters to be easily found, but reality was much more complicated. It was only easy to find right-angled straight-lined letters, like "E", "F", "H", "T", and "X". This, I imagine, is because right angled objects are more widely used, unlike unpractical shapes like "G" and "B". This meant I had to use a little more creativity to find the less practical shapes, as the right angled-ones were more common and obvious.
Helvetica high modernist basic facts poster
The high modernist style involved breaking the norm, and consequentially the designer's grid. Attempting this method was quite difficult for me, because I usually never stray away from a grid, especially when any form of text is involved. This would make a great prelude to distorting, breaking, and changing Helvetica itself. I'm not sure if I like the black-and-white colour scheme though, after trying to make translucent "shadows" of the circles that were in bright colours, this looked a little drab. I do like the rising circles, similar to what bubbles look like.
Distortions, Contortions, and Proportions
To achieve the following effects on the font Helvetica, we were given pieces of paper with "Helvetica" printed on them. We would then distort them however we pleased, and use the image trace tool on adobe illustrator to convert the images to stark black-and-white, shadowless files. Remember that the image trace tool can scan various levels of darkness according to the preferences set on it.
Experiment with displacement maps
For this text effect, I used a displacement map created with the Adobe Illustrator Moiré tool, and then applied that displacement map onto my first text effect. After that, I messed around with neon colours for fun.
Final Helvetica Project Poster Inspiration
The goal of this project was to make a poster with Helvetica distorted almost beyond recognition on it. The poster needed to have the words: "1957-2027", "70th anniversary", and "Helvetica Destroyed". However, we never finished the unit. I can still attest to the journey, if not the destination.