Council Office : The first Town Hall was erected in 1860. Additions were made in 1878 and 1907. Major redevelopment of this site began in 2003 to incorporate the Goolwa Library as part of the new Alexandrina Council Office. The new facilities opened in 2004. The Alexandrina Council continues to use the chambers for its meetings in the original hall.
This shop was built in the 1850s for Mr. Sumner, a baker, for use as a shop. A bakery was built on at the rear but has long since been demolished. The front wall of the building follows the curved allotment boundary giving it a bow fronted appearance. It has a cantilevered balcony with turned wooden posts.
Former Police Station & Courthouse ( now South Coast Regional Art Centre) : The first part of the building was erected in 1859 at a cost of £752. It was designed by the colonial architect E.A. Hamilton. Substantial alterations and additions were made in 1867 and 1874. The station had its own well, prison cells and stables.
Former Thomas Goode's General Store (now Chantillie Place) : Thomas Goode and Co. was established in Goolwa in 1852 and the Cadell Street store was built in 1853-54 but was destroyed by fire in 1884. The rebuilt premises opened for business in January 1885 and continued to trade under the original name until the business closed in 2004. The facade and display windows of the 191 Century store are of particular interest.
Centenary Hall : Built in 1930 by Percy Wells, one time Mayor of Goolwa Corporation. Percy wanted to turn the Town Hall (No.9) into a theatre but Council refused so he built his own theatre. This facility was renovated by the Alexandrina Council in 2012 and now hosts a range of performances and activities as part of the annual Just Add Water Arts and Culture program.
Centenary Hall - 2016
Former Horse Stables (now RSL Clubrooms) : The original railway stables were built in 1853-54 on this site and in 1863 they were replaced with this structure and housed the horses that used to draw wagons on the railway until 1885. In 1946 the building was purchased by the Goolwa RSL.
Railway Superintendent's Cottage ( now Goolwa Radio Station Alex FM) : An unusual house built of limestone with a distinctive curved corrugated iron roof. Construction on the cottage commenced in 1852 and was occupied by Buxton Forbes Laurie, the first Superintendent of the Goolwa-Port Elliot Railway in 1854.
Holy Evangelist Anglican Church : This imposing building was established in 1867 and built of local limestone. The clock tower with a spire was built in 1905 and the clock installed in 1915. The bell was presented by Lieutenant Colonel Higgins in 1897. Lofty timber ceilings are a feature of the church and furnishings include a table in the foyer from the PS Lady Augusta, the first paddle steamer to navigate the Murray in 1853.
Corio Hotel : The Corio was built in 1857 with the first license granted in 1858 to William Ray. At one time the building contained a barber shop and tobacconist. A feature from that time is the Yankee Doodle tobacco poster on the ceiling of the dining room.
This shed was built in 1877-78 and remained virtually unchanged in its appearance until the 1990s. It is now used as The Goolwa Riverboat Centre as an exhibition space and booking office for the PS Oscar W. The PS Oscar W is a unique wood fired heritage paddle steamer built in 1908. You may board the PS Oscar W when the Goolwa Riverboat Centre is opened. Enquire here for cruises.