The name 'Shanghai' means "City on the sea".
- Shanghai was officially established in 1267
- Shanghai was a small fishing village until 1842.
- Before Shanghai was a village, Mao lake and the rivers were used travel for trade.
- After the Opium war, the British made Shanghai into a treaty port open for foreign trades.
- The village turned into a city with western cultures with being in contact with the British, French, and Americans.
- Shanghai is located halfway the coastline at the east tip of the Yangtze River
- It borders the delta of Yangtze River to the north, Jiangsu and Zhejiang Provinces to the west and Hangzhou Bay to the south.
- It is mostly flat with soft earth. A few small mountains and hills in the southwest.
- There are a few offshore islands.
Many people in Shanghai enjoy the following:
- Practicing Tai chi
- Performing martial arts
- Doing local dances
- Pingtan and Shanghai Opera
- Doing western style dance like tango and cha cha
- Going to mass
- Going out shopping
- Going to a nightclub/bar
- Play golf
- Play tennis