Working with Volunteers
1. It allows the volunteers to bring their skills, knowledge, experience and passion to the delivery of the project providing a pivotal role in ensuring that our overall objectives are met
2. Living and working in a Zimbabwean community presents opportunities for cultural and knowledge exchange between all participants
Watch our volunteer recruitment video below, for information about how volunteers can support RE:13 and how volunteering provides benefits to all participants. The dates aren't relevant anymore, but the information definitely is!
We are delivering international volunteering placements throughout the year, so applying for the programme means that you will be contacted to discuss the next available RE:13 placements.
APPLY TO VOLUNTEER WITH RE:13 HERE
We will complete pre- and post-placement briefings for all volunteers, to ensure that you are clear on your objectives for the programme, and we are both clear on what you want to give and get from the experience.
Once we return to the UK we will hold a "Debrief, Download and Review" session to discuss the project and your experiences in detail, and I can assist you to think about how you will use the volunteering experience for your benefit, e.g. how to make the best of it on your LinkedIn profile, an application form or new job.
What Will I be Doing as a Volunteer?
Volunteering is a wonderful way to challenge yourself, whilst helping others. It's an incredibly rewarding experience, that involves the exchange of skills, knowledge and ideas between volunteers and project beneficiaries. With RE:13 and its current focus on Zimbabwe, UK based volunteers also benefit from the experience of working in an international context, and the cultural and social learning that living and working in a new community provides.
As a volunteer on the project, your role will be to contribute to the successful delivery of all elements of the programme, helping to ensure that they are well managed, organised and that all participants are getting as much as they can from the project. You will be supported throughout your placement with regular supervision to ensure that you and your experience are on track. For RE:13 the outcomes for our volunteers are of utmost importance - we know and expect that volunteers will have their own objectives in regards to taking part and we will work with you to ensure that these are met, too.
UK Volunteer showing participants the principles of bag-making
As a RE:13 volunteer, your role will be to undertake a range of tasks that will work together to support the project and ultimately the creative businesses of our aspiring entrepreneurs. We encourage autonomy in our volunteers and wish for you to bring your ideas and creativity to the project. We have a broad range of activities that we would like volunteers to be involved in, from planning to implementation through to evaluation. These will include:
- facilitating workshops and enterprise skills sessions - bring your knowledge of icebreakers!
- supporting the product design and manufacturing processes of making clothing, home decor, accessories and jewellery
- setting up and managing social media accounts for the purposes of detailing our activities whilst we're away and creating a buzz about the products our businesses will produce
- establishing online stores - experience of Etsy, Shopify, Big Cartel and other platforms will be very welcome here
- business start-up advice and guidance - this could be personal or professional experience, so you may be an entrepreneur yourself or be a professional that works in the field of enterprise and entrepreneurship
- photography - taking pictures of volunteers, project participants, Zimbabwe herself and our products for our online stores and social media platforms
- bookkeeping and accounting - a person who is a whizz with numbers will be required for the project and to help our business owners
- setting up and creating content for a blog
- organisational planning and logistics
- filmmaking - creating a short film of our project and conducting interviews with volunteers, project participants and other stakeholders
- anything else that will be of benefit to the project and our beneficiaries
OK, I'm in! Is it Free?
Like other international volunteering programmes, there is a fundraising requirement for each participant. For RE:13 each volunteer is required to raise £1,875 for their participation in the programme. This fee, which can be collected in two installments or all at once - provides a contribution towards your flight, accommodation, visa, insurance, meals, internal travel and a small weekly stipend. All other project costs are covered by RE:13. Any expenses outside of this are at your personal discretion, but the point is that once you have made your contribution of £1,875 you don't have to bring any other funds with you, unless you wish to.
RE:13 are able to offer you support in relation to your fundraising activities, as I know it can feel like a daunting task. From my experience of raising money to undertake my own volunteering placement and to run this programme, I have created the RE:13 Fundraising Tips guide to help you in your fundraising efforts. You are welcome to contact me at any time for support, encouragement and to generate ideas of how you can achieve your target.
You may also be asked to take part in RE:13's own fundraising activities - this is optional. However, joining our efforts together will aid with ensuring the project's success and longevity. Having the experience of successfully raising funds to volunteer myself, I want to make sure that none of our volunteers feel alone in undertaking their fundraising.