The UChicago Women's Basketball team's historic run came to an end in the Second Round of the NCAA Division III Tournament last weekend, as the Maroons defeated Wisconsin-Lutheran before falling to host St. Thomas to conclude their 2017-18 season.
NCAA SECOND RD: #6 St. Thomas 68, #9 UChicago 62
- Sophomore Mia Farrell turned it on in the second half, scoring 19 of her game-high 23 in the final two quarters.
- Classmate Taylor Lake added 13 points and junior Olariche Obi capped the season with her 15th double-double of 2017-18, finishing with 11 points and 15 rebounds.
- Miranda Burt chipped in seven points and three assists and Obi added five steals and two assists to her line to round out UChicago's leaders.
NCAA FIRST RD: #9 UChicago 70, Wisconsin-Lutheran 46
- Sophomore Miranda Burt found herself in familiar territory and recorded a game-high 18 points on 7-of-10 shooting to go along with three steals and junior forward Olariche Obi added 14 points, five rebounds, three steals, and two assists.
- Sophomore Taylor Lake added 11 points, six rebounds, and four assists in an all-around effort as the Maroons executed their patented defense to the tune of 24 Warrior turnovers, which led to 22 UChicago points.
TRACK & FIELD
ONWARD TO NATIONALS
Five Maroon student-athletes qualified to compete in the 2018 NCAA Division III Indoor National Track and Field Championships, set for March 9-10 in Birmingham, Ala.
2018 NCAA Division III Indoor Track & Field National Championships
- When: Friday-Saturday, March 9-10
- Where: Birmingham, Ala.
- Who: Five Maroon student-athletes qualified to compete at nationals in six events: Robin Peter (60 hurdles), Joe Previdi (800), Nate Downey (pole vault), Laura Darcey (high jump and pentathlon), and Nicole VacaGuzman (400).
LAST CHANCE MEETS
ITA TEAM NATIONALS
The #9 Maroon women defeated Washington & Lee before falling to #6 Pomona-Pitzer & #10 Carnegie Mellon in two tight matches in Chattanooga, Tenn.
March 20-23: Spring Break Trip to Claremont, Calif.
- March 20: UChicago vs. Tufts, 12 PM PT
- March 22: UChicago vs. Bowdoin, 10 AM PT
- March 23: UChicago vs. Williams, 9 AM PT
#10 Carnegie Mellon 5, #9 UChicago 0
#6 Pomona-Pitzer 6, #9 UChicago 3
#9 UChicago 7, #12 Washington & Lee 2
The Maroons picked up wins over Greenville and Grinnell last weekend with huge offensive outputs, winning by scores of 15-4 and 16-0.
- Saturday, March 17: UChicago vs. Wisconsin-Platteville, 2 PM ET / UChicago vs. Rose-Hulman, 5 PM ET
- Where: Terre Haute, Ind. (hosted by Rose-Hulman)
UChicago 16, Grinnell 0
- Junior pitcher Joe Liberman led the charge on the mound. He struck out a career-high 10 batters in five innings of work, while only allowing one hit.
- First-year Chandler Yu struck out three batters, while sophomore Daniel Smith tallied two K's of his own.
- First-year infielder Brian Lyle paced the offense with three hits.
- Six different players collected two hits apiece – Maximiliano Larsen, Ian Bohn, Brady Sarkon, Josh Parks, Drew Ventrelle and James Kelly. Bohn also crushed a three-run homer.
Dubuque 7, UChicago 5 (14 inn.) / UChicago 15, Greenville 4
- The opening game of the day went long as UChicago and University of Dubuque took 14 innings to reach a result.
- Junior pitcher Brenton Villasenor started the game on the mound and went five innings, striking out three. First-year Zach Morochnik entered the game with the bases loaded and pitched his way out with a strikeout and a double play. Morochnik threw five innings of relief.
- Senior outfielder Maximiliano Larsen, first-year infielder Brian Lyle and junior outfielder Connor Hickey each recorded two hits. Junior first baseman Brady Sarkon also jacked a solo home run.
- Against Greenville, sophomore pitcher Jacob Petersen (1-0 record) tossed the opening five innings to get the win. He struck out six with two earned runs, four hits and two walks. First-year David Clarke was responsible for the next four innings on the mound. Clarke piled up five strikeouts with one unearned run, two hits and a walk.
- UChicago racked up 15 hits, but also committed five errors defensively. The hit parade was led by Payton Jancsy's 4-for-5 effort (two RBI). Larsen, Ian Bohn and James Kelly each went 2-for-5 with a combined eight RBI.
SWIMMING & DIVING
NCAA DIVING REGIONAL
The University of Chicago men's and women's diving teams wrapped up competition on Saturday as hosts of the two-day NCAA Diving Regional.
NATIONAL FIELD SET
UChicago's teams had a total of 17 swimmers qualify to represent the Maroons at the 2018 NCAA Division III Swimming & Diving Championships held March 21-24 in Indianapolis, Ind.
2018 NCAA Division III Swimming & Diving Championships
- Wednesday-Saturday, March 21-24, 2018
- Where: Indianapolis, Ind.
- Four different individuals are currently seeded in the top 10 of their respective events.
- Sophomore Reona Yamaguchi is the fourth seed in the men's 100-yard breaststroke (54.98).
- First-year Gillian Gagnard is the fifth seed in the women's 200-yard backstroke (2:00.52).
- First-year Margaret Wolfson is the sixth seed in the women's 200-yard breaststroke (2:17.99).
- Sophomore Lance Culjat is the ninth seed in the men's 200-yard breaststroke (2:01.04).