Scroll down to see what our students and staff have been doing This Week in Our Schools!
Featured this week:
- Colorado Elementary: Student Council Visits MCSA.
- Colorado Elementary: Mrs. Noll's 1st Grade Class.
- Franklin Elementary: Mrs. Harders' Kindergarten Class.
- Franklin Elementary: Mrs. Van Hemert's 4th Grade Class.
- Grant Elementary: Student Leaders.
- Grant Elementary: Mrs. Kulland's 3rd Grade P.E. Classes.
- Grant and Jefferson Elementary: Mrs. Sneath's 3rd Grade Gifted/Talented Students.
- Jefferson Elementary: Mr. Loos' 3rd Grade Class.
- Madison Elementary: Mrs. Poppe's 4th Grade Class.
- Madison Elementary: Mrs. McGill's 3rd Grade Class.
- McKinley Elementary: Mrs. Strouf's 1st Grade Class.
- Mulberry Elementary: Mrs. Evan's Kindergarten Class.
- Mulberry Elementary: Mrs. Story and Mrs. Hill's Deaf and Hard of Hearing Classes.
- Mulberry Elementary: Polar Express Day!
- WMS: Mrs. Curtis' Gifted and Talented Students.
- WMS: Geography Bee Champion!
- WMS: Mrs. Duffe and Mrs. Turbett's 6th Grade Math Classes.
- WMS: Mrs. Hyink's Pys Ed Class - School Record Setters!
- MHS: Key Club Visits Grant Elementary Students.
- District-Wide: January Employee Awards!
- District-Wide: Catherine Miller Explorer Award Winner - Sarah Meyer!
Prior to winter break, Colorado Student Council led a winter clothing drive to benefit the MCSA shelter. Thanks to all Colorado students and families who contributed to this important cause. As a thank-you, our library received a special edition of the "Boots the Cat" book about the shelter's friendly resident feline, Boots!
Scarves and hats for all the fourth grade students at Franklin – made for them by Mrs. Van Hemert's mom and aunt for Christmas.
Our Grant students LEAD our school through our vision, mission and daily announcements!
3rd grade students at Grant in Mrs. Kulland's Phys Ed classes worked on multiplication facts and dribbling a basketball.
Mrs. Sneath's third grade GT students at Grant and Jefferson practiced algebra with candy cane math. What number does "Candy Cane" stand for? Candy Cane + Candy Cane + 9 = 51
Students in Mr. Loos' 3rd grade class love spending time in their library.
Mrs. Poppe's 4th grade class learned about chemical weathering in science this week with their FOSS science kit. They used vinegar to simulate acid rain and observed the reaction different rocks had with it.
Madison third graders in Mrs. McGill's class read the book "Aero and Officer Mike" this week. They then invited Captain Patel from the Muscatine Police Department to come and demonstrate his K-9 partner, Nero.
Students in Mrs. Strouf's 1st Grade Class are learning all about the "magic e" and each got a chance to give the short vowel some magic from the e to make it a long vowel! and ....
... participated in a "book tasting activity" In the library with Mrs. Bloomquist. What a fun way to teach kids about book descriptions and get them interested in different types of books!
Students in Mrs. Evans' Kindergarten class wish everyone Happy New Year!
The Deaf and Hard of Hearing students at Mulberry Elementary, taught by Kelly Story and Sarah Hill, had a special visitor from a signing Santa. The kids both big and small were shocked they could use American Sign Language to communicate with ease with Santa. The Quad Cities Deaf Club provided gifts for the students in support of community involvement in our greater Deaf community.
During the month of December, Mulberry students worked extra hard to earn a Polar Express Day as a PBIS reward. On December 19th, students came to school dressed in their pajamas, watched the Polar Express movie, did Polar Express activities, and hot chocolate during lunch. It was a fun day for everyone!
WEST MIDDLE SCHOOL
Students in Mrs. Curtis' Gifted and Talented Class were busy before the holiday break!
West Middle School Geography Bee Champion - Jake Draves, 8th Grade!! Congratulations Jake!
Mrs. Duffe's and Mrs. Turbett's sixth grade math classes made gingerbread houses before break! Students used their measuring skills and knowledge of ratios to design a scale drawing of a gingerbread house. With graham crackers, frosting, and lots of candy the students then got to turn their gingerbread house into reality.
8th Graders, Rylie Moss and Zoey Long set a school record for longest game of pepper- a volleyball passing game- with 1,300 in Mrs. Hyink's Phys Ed class!!!!! Way to go Ladies!
MUSCATINE HIGH SCHOOL
Key Club members (Camilla McNeely, Ridge Wolfe, Erika Ricketts, Ashley Mitchell, Abbey Sampson, Jasmine Cohn, Shelby Little, Adamaris Bautista, and Erin Elizalde) volunteered at the annual Kiwanis Kid's Christmas Party at Grant Elementary on December 20th, 2016. Key Club members also shopped for Christmas gifts for all Grant students who attended.
Congratulations to the employees chosen for January's Recognizing Excellence Award! Employees were surprised with a visit from Assistant Superintendent Mike McGrory and Director of Teaching and Learning Becky Wichers and received a special recognition mug co-sponsored by Sprouse Distributing! Thank you for all you do for our students, staff, and parents!