Scroll down to see our students and staff in action This Week in Our Schools!
Featured this week:
- Franklin: Mrs. Hawkins' 4th Grade Class.
- Grant: Girl Scouts.
- Grant: Mrs. Sitzmann's Kindergarten Class.
- Grant: Staff and Families at China Garden.
- Grant: Mrs. Morton's 2nd Grade and Mr. Valenzuela's 5th Grade Classes
- Jefferson: Mrs. Zitzow's 1st Grade Class
- McKinley: Veteran's Day Assembly.
- Mulberry: Mrs. Green's Kindergarten Class.
- CMS: Ms. Walgren's 7th Grade Math Class.
- CMS: Chinese Artists Visit CMS Students.
- WMS: Mrs. Plemmons' and Mrs. Ortega's Science Classes.
- WMS: Mr. Yerington's 6th Grade Science Class.
- MHS: Mr. Schmelzer's Work Experience Class.
- MHS: Mr. Klingborg's Advanced Welding Class.
- MHS: 11th Grade Students Visit Grinnell College.
- East Campus: Ms. Sheperd's Service Learning Class.
- District-wide Staff: Jefferson Elementary Staff.
- District-wide Staff: Admin Center Staff.
4th graders in Mrs. Hawkins' class shared what turkeys had to say after they read "Turkey Trouble" and "The Night Before Thanksgiving." The letters are addressed to humans with a plea not to eat the turkey and suggestions on what to eat instead.
Grant Staff and Families had a "Sharpen Your Saw" event hosted by the China Garden. 12% of the sales from the evening were donated to the school. Thank you China Garden!
Leaders in Mrs. Morton's 2nd grade and Mr. Valenzuela's 5th grade met during their DEAL (Drop Everything and Lead) time. They talked about what they are thankful for and planned their celebration for increasing their percent proficient on FAST progress monitoring!
In 1st grade at Jefferson, Mrs. Zitzow's students did a literature study of the book From Seed to Pumpkin and engaged in reading and math activities centered around pumpkins.
Last week, McKinley held a Veteran's Day assembly, honoring local veterans.
Mrs. Green's Kindergarten class celebrated Mickey Mouse day by making their own shirts, practicing their sight words and talking about Walt Disney's growth mindset (top 3 pictures) and then learned about good hand washing with a visit from The Red Cross and Scrubby Bear (bottom 3 pictures)!
CENTRAL MIDDLE SCHOOL
Ms. Walgren's 7th grade class worked on multiplying and dividing fractions while playing Jenga!
Famous Chinese artists came to Central on Tuesday and taught the kids their styles of art, from calligraphy to making masks.
WEST MIDDLE SCHOOL
Michelle Berns from the Discovery Center joined Mrs. Plemmons' and Mrs. Ortega's science class to learn about turkeys!
Students in Mr. Yerington’s 6th grade science class played the review game “Grudge Ball” where answering a question allowed them to take away points from other teams. In addition they got to shoot the Nerf ball for bonus points they could also take away.
Below, a student in Mr. Yerington's class scores some bonus points for his team during the Grudge Ball review competition.
MUSCATINE HIGH SCHOOL
Work Experience students in Mr. Schmelzer's class at Muscatine High School took advantage of the beautiful Fall weather to experience corn harvesting, learn about beef production, and get questions answered about careers in agriculture from former MHS students.
Advanced welding students in Mr. Klingborg's class designed and built a round bale feeder for the Ag Center.
A group of 11th grade students visited Grinnell College this week. They enjoyed a meeting with admissions staff, a campus tour and lunch in the dining center.
East Campus students in Ms. Sheperd's Service Learning Class helped Rebuilding Muscatine build wheelchair ramps for people in the community.
Jefferson Staff would like to thank Holly Hanna and several high school students who came to facilitate a discussion panel during our staff PSST. We learned so much about relationships, passions, and growth from each student that presented. We look forward to partnering with them in the future!