Why should I even visit a college?
You want to visit a college because you want to get a good feel for the college. A lot of the time, college webpages only show you the best parts of campus. However, you want to see the college from all perspectives!
When should I plan to go on a campus visit?
It's most wise to go on college visits during your junior year. During this time, good times to go are on the weekdays and possibly spring break, if the school is in session.
What are some things I should see when I go on my visit?
1. classrooms. Learning environment matters. no body wants to learn in a dark moldy classroom.
2. Residence Halls. You want to be able to see what you will be living in your first year. It is important to know what you feel comfortable with, whether it be a community bathroom or a private bathroom. Also, make sure to see off-campus housing too! You will be living in off-campus housing more than likely for 3 years undergrad.
3. The library. This part of campus is super important! It will show you what the college offers in terms of resources and extra help.
4. Sports or recreational facilities. This is also an important thing to see! You want to be able to see what types of recreational things are there to do! Are varsity athletic events free? Can you access the athletic facilities?
5. The campus, duh. Walk around! You want to be able to take the whole campus in and digest it. Envision your self here and really get a feel.