Welcome to the County Highway 12 (Wildwood Road) Online Open house
Washington County has recently taken over jurisdiction of Wildwood Road from Century Avenue to Stillwater Boulevard in the City of Mahtomedi. To continue to make this a great place to live, work, and play, Washington County has a pavement improvement project planned for the near future.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why are improvements happening now?
- MnDOT and Washington County negotiated an agreement for the County to transfer jurisdiction over Wildwood Road (Old Highway 244) from Century Avenue to Stillwater Road. Washington County will consider this portion of roadway as an extension of County Highway 12.
- What is happening with Highway 244 north of Stillwater Road?
- This portion of roadway was not part of the agreement Washington County made with MnDOT. That road will still remain under the jurisdiction of MnDOT.
- What is the schedule for improvements?
- An interim pedestrian crossing from just south of Wedgewood Park Pond across County Highway 12 is planned for installation in the summer/fall of 2020. Major roadway improvements are planned for the spring, summer, and fall of 2021.
- Are you closing driveways or access?
- Permanent driveway and access closures are not expected with this project. During construction access will be restricted. Details will be provided as the project design progresses.
- Are there improvements planned for bicycles and pedestrians?
- Washington County is here today to better understand community priorities. Please share your comments on potential improvements that you would like to see implemented. The Engineering Team will review comments for feasibility, responsibility, and constructibility
- How will disturbed turf in my yard be re-established?
- Seed will be placed for turf establishment where necessary along the project limits. This seed is placed and then left to nature to establish. If you, as the property owner, currently maintain the County’s right-of-way the same as your yard, we recommended that you water these restored areas and minimize the mowing until the seed has completely established.
- How is this being paid for?
- Improvements on this corridor will be paid by the funds that were provided to Washington County from MnDOT through the negotiations giving the County jurisdiction of this Highway. The City of Mahtomedi will also have contributions to the project based on the County's cost participation policy.
- Will the speed limit change?
- Speed limits are determined by Minnesota state laws and the state Commissioner of Transportation, not by city or county officials. Drivers choose speeds based on their available sightlines and abilities to react to potential hazards. Posting a higher or lower speed limit has not been shown to significantly affect driving speeds in areas where it has been tested. Changes or improvements to infrastructure have been shown to have a greater impact on safety and will be studied for the corridor to improve conditions for pedestrians and bicyclists. It is standard Washington County practice to request a new speed study after any major project is complete to ensure that the posted speed limit is appropriate for the new conditions.
- How can I stay informed on project updates?
- Subscribe to updates on the project specific website here: https://www.co.washington.mn.us/WildwoodRoad or contact the project manager, Kevin Peterson at email@example.com or 651-430-4330.