Welcome to Immanuel! Please join us for worship, which begins at 10:00 a.m., year-round. Immanuel is a congregation in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America.
At Immanuel we’re followers of Jesus, who love each other & those around us. We’re child friendly. And we offer casual worship, using both traditional & contemporary forms of music.
A special Children's Church is a part of every worship service—children attend the first and last parts of the service with their families, and have a special worship and message in the middle that is tailored to their needs and interests. Children are also welcome to remain in the regular worship service with their families too!
Immanuel practices early Communion. However, if you have children who are not ready to participate, you are encouraged to bring them to receive a blessing from Pastor.
Our building is handicapped accessible. To attend worship, please enter through the front entrance on Laurens Street.
From State Street (Route 417): Turn onto North Fourth Street and proceed one block to Laurens. The Church will be on your right (across from Oak Hill Park). The parking lot is behind the church, on North Fourth Street.
From Union Street (Route 16): Turn onto Laurens Street (Laurens is the street at the traffic light between Blue Bird Square and the Community Bank). Proceed four blocks to North Fourth Street. The church will be on your left (you'll see Oak Hill Park ahead of you). To use our parking lot, turn left onto North Fourth Street--the parking lot is behind the church.
Rev. Dr. Derek Cheek, Pastor
Pastor Derek came to Immanuel in 2004. We have made many changes under his leadership. Our focus has become centered on following Jesus in our everyday lives. We seek to be a blessing to real people in our world. To make these goals reality, we have structured the style of our services to reflect the diversity of those who worship with us in our present day. We strive to faithfully blend the best of the past with the best of the present in ways that are easy for all to embrace. We have renovated our worship space to ensure that it is both reverent of God and welcoming to guests. Recognizing that we live in more relaxed times than days-gone-by, our worship is casual, without being a “pep rally.”
Pastor Derek’s sermons often involve dialogue with the congregation (but don’t worry, he doesn't “call on” people!). We typically follow the Church’s lectionary reading schedule, to ensure we cover most of the Bible’s main themes over the course of 3 years. We also have several small groups which meet throughout the week to facilitate learning and fellowship.
Our musicians play both contemporary and traditional music during most services. Vocalists and instrumentalists are welcome to join them.
The traditional choir sings at selected services throughout the year. Vocalists are also welcome to join them. Announcements are made in church when rehearsals are called.
Church Staff and Officers
- Pastor: Rev. Dr. Derek J. Cheek
- Congregational President: Dr. Rene Hauser
- Vice-President: Joe Noll
- Recording Secretary: Ann Tenglund
- Financial Secretary: Craig Heinz
- Treasurer: Peter Miller
- Worship & Pastoral Care: Scott Papp, Diana Scanlon, Joe Noll, Jodie Noll, Hans Elsigan, John Heinz, Hal Sodeur, Pat Cady, Kayla Flick
- Christian Growth & Education Team: Julie Elsigan, Kayla Flick
- Properties Team: Joe Hauser, Peter Miller
- Finance Team: Hal Sodeur, Brad Spink
- Early Childhood Team: Mary Lou Triesky, Jodie Noll, Sharon Snyder, Kayla Flick, Gene Snyder, Bunny Howell, Mary Yoder (parent representative)
- Social Action Team: Ruth Johnson Sodeur, Gene Snyder
- Publicity Team: Roxane Struchen, Brenda Miller
- Councilor-at-Large: Ruth Johnson-Sodeur, Dianne Adams
- Genesis House Liaison: Ramona Witzigman
Immanuel Christian Child Care (ICCC)
Please visit the ICCC website at http://www.icccolean.org
Daily Bible Message
The Lutheran Hour site provides an interesting and inspiring daily Bible message at http://www.lhm.org/dailydevotions.asp
- Our Mission: To share Jesus with others by being Christs in thought, word, and deed.
- Our Vision: To be an open and authentic faith community striving to reach the un-churched.
- Immanuel Lutheran Church & Christian Child Care
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ImmanuelOlean/
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (716)372-0650
- 419 Laurens Street (Corner of Laurens & Fourth Streets), Olean, NY 14760