Growth Project By: Lauren DiFabio

For this assignment we were supposed to chose an extinct or rare animal and make a stamp out of it. I chose the red-eyed tree frog. This frog has slowly been disappearing, and starting to become more and more rare.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/amphibians/r/red-eyed-tree-frog/

Assignment Parameters:

  • Extinct Animal
  • Animal had to touch 3 sides of final stamp
  • Show mastering of stamping
  • Show texture and real details on your animal
  • Create 10 stamps once animal is cut out

Goal: Creating an extinct animal or plant stamp using line and other art principles to show depth, texture, etc.. within the 2-D stamp.

Design Challenge: Making a linocut design and stamp successfully without a lot of blank space.

Planning Process: While trying to decide what animal to chose, I looked up rare/ extinct animals online. A whole list came up, but the red-eyed frog stuck out to me. So I chose that and knew exactly what I was going to do. I would make the background plants or nature , and then the frog in the middle.

Feedback + Reflection: When asking the people around my table and in the class, they thought my frog idea was very unique, because no one else in my class had chosen to do a frog for their project. I reflected back on all their positive feedback towards my idea and started sketching my frog.

First sketch

Process: To begin I started by making a smaller version of the final product on the green test plate. At first I put the frog around or "hugging" a tree, with some of the leaves hanging down. I cut out the whole frog so it would print white and left the rest in. Once I started on my final, I decided to change my background to a leaf to show how small the frog really is, with the frog hanging on to two stems of a plant. This time using the cutting tool on the linoleum I cut out the whole background and left the frog so the frog would print black and most of the background white. When I finished cutting out I printed 10 stamps, to make sure one of them was perfect.

Problems and Solutions: Some problems I faced were when cutting out a lot of the linoleum, if you dug too deep with the cutting tool the bottom side would show through. To fix this I used a different size cutting tool, so that it wouldn't cut out as much. Another problem I faced was trying to figure out what lines to cut and not to make the details show the best. To solve this I colored in with sharpie what I needed to not cut out.

Final Stamp Product

Evalutaion: I think for this project I did pretty good on demonstrating design principles. I could have added a little more detail to my animal to make the stamp look more realistic, but I used all the principles needed to complete this artwork. I also worked hard during class, was not off-task, and did as many stamps as possible to make sure my last and final one was the best it could be.

Credits:

Created with images by Sonja & Roland - "red-eyed tree frog" • Sahara Frost - "Red Eyed Tree Frog-Agalychnis callidryas" • sandid - "tree frog jump falling"

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.