Spe Salvi and The 76ers
Pope Benedict XVI wrote a book titles Spe Salvi. Spe Salvi is Latin for “saved in hope”, which references the Latin phrase in Romans 8:24. The verse reads: “For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for,” (Biblegate.com). In summary, Spe Salvi says that all Christians have a future if they believe in God. Pope Benedict XVI also mentions that hope might not always been seen throughout one’s whole life, but God has a plan for each individuals life. Even though one might not see hope or know Gods plan, one’s life will not end in emptiness (Pope Benedict XVI, 2007). I found this text to be important and a metaphor for what “The Process” entails for the 76ers and their fanbase. One might not know the final outcome of the rebuilding process, but as long as one has hope in the General Manager’s plan, and he has faith in God, then God will make sure “The Process” is a waste of time. Also, the personnel inside of the organization needs to have faith in what Hinkie is doing because he has a plan and it will not end in emptiness when he has faith in God and what he is doing.
- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_76ers#/media/File%3APhiladelphia_76ers_logo.svg (picture)
- https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/07/world/pope-benedict-home/index.html (Picture)
- https://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/10/21/sixers-future-embiid-simmons-fultz/ (Picture)
- http://www.prosportsbackgrounds.com/philadelphia-76ers.html (Picture)
- https://rukkus.com/philadelphia-76ers-tickets/ (Picture)
- http://phillysportstalk.com/who-is-brett-brown/ (Picture)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiAHlZVgXjk (Picture)
- Beech, Roland. “NBA Draft Picks: Expected Performance.” Blueprint for an NBA Championship Team , 82games, 2009
- Benedict XVI, Pope. “Spe Salvi (November 30, 2007) | BENEDICT XVI.” Vatican.va, Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 30 Nov. 2007
- Fiddes, Paul S. Seeing the World and Knowing God: Hebrew Wisdom and Christian Doctrine in a Late-Modern Context. Oxford University Press, 2015.
- Hyman, Jake. “The Philadelphia 76ers Could Have Been NBA's Version of ‘Moneyball.’” Hoops Habit, FanSided, 13 Jan. 2016.