Question: How did the Santa Fe Trail benefit the New Mexico Territory?
Answer: It helped them with trading and increase trading.
The New Mexico Territory
1. In the early 1800s, the land called New Mexico was a vast region between the Texas and California territories.
2. Mexico-including New Mexico-won its independence from Spain in 1821.
3. The Santa Fe Trail became a busy route.
Question: How did William Becknell influence the American settlement of New Mexico?
Answer: He was trading with the Spanish.
California's Spanish Culture
1. Spanish explorers and missionaries from Mexico settled California in the 1700s.
2. The missions aimed to convert Native Americans to Christianity and the Spanish way of life.
1. President James K. Polk was determined to get the California and New Mexico territories from Mexico.
2. After Mexico refused to sell the lands, Polk planned to gain them through war.
3. To justify a war, Polk hoped to get Mexico to strike first.
A War Plan
1. Polk planned to defeat Mexico be accomplishing three goals.
- First, drive Mexican forces out of Texas.
- Second, it would seize New Mexico and California.
- Finally, American forces would advance into Mexico and capture the capitol, Mexico City.
2. By 1847, Zachary Taylor had accomplished the first goal. His army captured all the important towns in the border area between Mexico and Texas.
1. Even before war with Mexico officially began, American settlers in northern California had begun an uprising.
2. On June 14, 1846, the Americans declared California independent.
1. Defeated on February 2, 1848, Mexico's leaders signed the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.
2. Mexico gave the United States more then 500,000 sq. mi. of territory.
Question: What did America gain from the Mexican War?
Answer: 500,000 sq. mi. of land from the Mexicans.
California and Utah
Question: How did the discovery of gold help California?
California Gold Rush
1. Gold was discovered at Sutter's Mill in 1848, people from all over the world traveled to California when it was discovered.
2. Many of those people made up the large population of many different cultures. But it was established as California's Chinese American community.