Dr. Staci N. Johnson is Associate Professor of Biology at Southern Wesleyan University. She currently teaches a variety of courses that focus on biological content, writing proficiency, college and career readiness skills, and ethics.
The SJohnson Research Group is composed of undergraduates students and conducts research in both animal physiology and education. To date, grant funding from SCICU has supported these projects ($8500).
- Biol 1054 - Survey of Anatomy & Physiology
- Biol 1104 - Introduction to Biology
- Biol 2454 - Introduction to Animal Science
- Biol 3104 - Microbiology, Laboratory is taught using a Course Based Undergraduate Research Experience (CURE)
- Biol 3313 - Bioethics
- Biol 4273 - Developmental Biology
- Biol 4900 - Special Topics in Biology - Science Fair Administration
- Semr 2021 - Cornerstone Natural Science Seminar
- Semr 2051 - Scientific Literacy
- Semr 4051 - Capstone Natural Science Seminar
Current Research Projects
- Cognitive Processes in Undergraduate Anatomy & Physiology Students (CPAP) This project encompasses continuing data analysis and publications from Dr. Johnson's dissertation work.
- Definitions Project - Lexi Mathis (Class of 2022) is undertaking this project to learn more about student definitions of commonly used education terms (learning, memorizing, studying, understanding).
- Impacts of High-Fat Diets on Reproductive Hormone Levels - Emily Corriher and Haley McLaughlin (Class of 2021) are undertaking this project in summer/ fall 2020.
- Ethics Network for Course-based Opportunities in Undergraduate Research (ENCOUR) Fellow - My project will focus on teaching and measuring student knowledge of data acquisition & management in the context of a CURE.
- Advancing Diversity & Minority Retention in Natural Sciences (ADMiRe- Natural Sciences) - This project is currently under under revision for resubmission to the National Science Foundation for funding to begin in Summer 2021.
- Ph.D. Engineering & Science Education, Clemson University (2019)
- M.S. Animal Physiology, Clemson University (1999)
- B.S. Animal Science- Science & Technology, University of Tennessee- Knoxville (1997)
Professional Associations & Activities
- Society of the Advancement of Biology Education Research (SABER): Member of the Mentoring and Website Committees, Web Czar & Liaison between Web and Mentoring Committees
- Beta Beta Beta National Biological Honor Society
- Team-Based Learning Collaborative (TBLC)
- National Association of Research in Science Teaching (NARST)
- Human Anatomy & Physiology Society (HAPS)