This August, you will begin your journey as Central Michigan University's 2020 Leader Advancement Scholar Cohort! This exciting opportunity will provide you with experiences to build your leadership style, develop valuable skills, and join a community filled with students looking to be the leaders of today and tomorrow. We've specifically designed this page to acclimate you to some of the unique perspectives of being a Leader Advancement Scholar. Fire Up!
What are my LAS courses?
LDR 100: Intro to Leadership Education*
CGL 145L: Racism/Discrimination* Dialogue
LDR 200L: Intro to Leadership Theory*
COM 267L: Intro to Debate*
Elective Group One: Complete at least 3 credits of the following L coursework that satisfies University Program and/or Writing Intensive requirement before 56 credit hours.
- PHL 118L: Moral Problems*
- PAD 211L WI: Intro to Nonprofit Leadership
- HST 120L WI: Unlikely Princesses: Woman of World History
- PSY 100: Intro to Psychology (PSY 100L not offered Fall 2020)*
Elective Group Two: Complete at least an additional 6 credits of approved coursework before graduation from CMU; defined as LDR courses, L-designated courses, or with the approval of the LAS Director.
- LDR 302: Field Experience in Leadership*
- COM 461L: Leadership & Communication*
- LDR 499L: Contemporary Issues in Leadership*
- CGL 445: Intergroup Dialogue Facilitation (application required)
- CGL 302: Cultural & Global Studies Internship (application required)
We will further explain LAS Protocol in LDR 100 this fall and provide helpful academic planning resources. * indicates course also counts for Leadership Studies Minor.
What are my first year experiences?
- Involvement in one student organization
- Attendance at one multicultural event each semester
- Participation in one LI leadership seminar or workshop
- Involved in community service or volunteer activity (30 hours annually)
- Document your experience through an eportfolio
As Jesi said, don't worry about these requirements as we"ll adapt these to fit within Covid-19 protocols. We'll discuss each requirement more in LDR 100 and will be flexible as we know things may look a little different this fall.
"Go forward in new adventures with an open heart and mind. You never know who will end up being a major influence to you or what path you will choose to take. Most likely everything you think college is will be different, but in a great way." - Breana Jackson, Executive Director at Legus International