Fun Facts About Fungi:
● The fungi kingdom is more similar to the animal kingdom than the plant kingdom! That means we humans have more in common with a mushroom than a tree!
● It is estimated that there are at least 1.5 million different species of fungi.
● Fungus can be used to dye wool and clothing!
● The mushrooms we see popping out of the ground are actually the fruit of a fungi. The main body of fungus lives underground or insdie rottting organisms, and is called the Mycelium (My-seal-ee-um). It's a very thin, fragile, white, wispy structure.
Bits of Bacteria Knowledge:
● Bacteria is the oldest living organism! Bacteria have been on the planet for more than 3.5 billion years. Making them the oldest known life-forms on earth
● You eat bacteria all the time--it’s in yogurt, cheese, kimchi…
● Your body has more bacterial cells than human cells! Bacteria in your body helps with digestion, and defend your body from harmful bacteria. Of all the bacteria in the world, less than 1 percent will make you sick.
● Bacteria have been found in places previously thought uninhabitable by scientists, geothermal vents at the bottom of the ocean!
Interesting Invertebrate Facts:
● Worms can become paralyzed if exposed to the sun for too long!
● There are likely millions of invertebrates living in your house right now. They are called dust mites and you can't see them.
● Centipedes are carnivores which eat insects and worms. They have a poisonous bite to help them kill their prey.
● Millipedes are herbivoures who eat plants and rotting material.
Created with images by Michelle Gordon - "Faerie Flats" • CDC - "This illustration depicted a three-dimensional (3D), computer-generated image, of a group of Gram-positive, Corynebacterium diphtheriae, bacteria. The artistic recreation was based upon scanning electron microscopic (SEM) imagery." • Jakob Owens - "Multiple Butterflies"